Product For Reducing Drain Build-up, I'm In Love - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Product for reducing drain build-up, I'm in love

After fighting my 60+ year old plumbing for years with back up after back up I went to the Depot to see what preventative products might be available and I found this "ZEP Drain Care Build-up Remover." Run warm water for a few minutes, pour in a few ounces of the product, 16oz of warm water behind it. Let set for at least 6-8 hours. I've been doing this at least twice a month for the last few months and my drains are incredible.

Has anybody used this before? According to their website its bacterial enzymes doing the work but I have to wonder what eats away at 60 years of build up and how safe it is. I guess it probably can't do much to harm cast iron though....

If anybody has an old house, at $10/bottle (20 applications) I absolutely recommend doing this once a month as a preventative to drain clogs.
Attached Images

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I used the powdered form of it. Seems to help a lot.

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

I'm on a septic system, and I use- -chunk, dry, dog food. Yep, that's right, chunk, dry, dog food. I was taught this when I was attending CEU classes for my State Waste Water Treatment License. The instructor used clear PVC to demonstrate to us how this dry, chunked, cheap, dog food would go down the drain and literally wipe away the crud build-up in side the pipes. This dry dog food doesn't absorb water readily, the water pushes it along, and it wipes the inside of the piping. I use one of those, maybe 12 oz., plastic party cups to add a cupful to my toilets each month. I put it in my garbage disposal also and let it clean out the lines from the kitchen sink. I used to have a problem with dishwasher soap build-up in my kitchen drain lines under the house until I started using the dog food. I have not had to clean out my kitchen drain lines for some years now. Supposedly there are some active enzymes left in dry dog food from the grains they use to make it that help a septic tank digest better. I'll just have to take the instructors word for that one. Thanks, David
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
The instructor used clear PVC to demonstrate to us how this dry, chunked, cheap, dog food would go down the drain and literally wipe away the crud build-up in side the pipes.
That's wild! I would have assumed it would clog up and then absorb the water, creating an even bigger problem than you started with! I think I'll stick with the liquids for now..... hahaha
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have used, and recommended, Drain Care for years. Being non- caustic, it works especially well for septic systems. Caustic drain cleaners eat a small hole in a clog, and then run down to the main sewer or septic. Drain Care is an enzyme cleaner that clings to, and eats, organic clogs. It may take a bit longer, but does a complete job.