Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Problem with Washer drain

Thank you for looking!

Ok so I've begun construction on a washer/dryer (stackable) retrofit and I need some more guidance from the experts. So far, I've opened a pantry up and run hot and cold water lines to the area. I've also added a washer box with standpipe in the pantry.

All studs I will talk about here are load bearing exterior wall studs.

The goal is/was to run the drainpipe past the dishwasher on the outside of the wall (the pipe would be exposed but we would avoid boring through the studs). Ultimately, after passing the dishwasher, I would join the washer drain to the kitchen sink with a wye. I would add 2 AAV's (1 post kitchen trap and 1 post washer trap, if anyone is curious).

Turns out, the dishwasher depth prohibits the pipe from being run behind it. I had initially thought it would work since there are hot and cold lines running behind it. I thought wrong.

Now to get passed the dishwasher, I could bore 2" holes through the exterior studs, or notch them 1.5" and remove the drywall for 2" passing. I know that doesn't meet code. I am troubled because a neighbor of mine paid a contractor to do the work and was successful.

I looked at his house (these are identical townhomes) and he had no visible washer drain pipe. I literally have no idea where they would have put it, unless they bored through all of his exterior studs OR have it draining directly outside (although it doesn't look like that). He mentioned that they did remove the dishwasher but never did any work under the sink.

Any initial thoughts? I really appreciate the help. I am beginning to consider boring through the exterior wall and joining the PVC washer drain with the gutter system. I am not worried about freezing as the temperatures in NC rarely drop below freezing and the exterior portion of the drain pipe can have a great slope.

Here are some images:

StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #2

Problem with Washer drain

Stop what you are doing. I'm a bit confused: you were going to take the drain pipe outside the wall and then run in back in. Then, you are going to bore 2" holes in your 2 x ? wall studs but that won't work now. Then you are using AAVs (are they legal in your town?). Then you want to drain it into your gutter system.
Does your home have a basement or crawlspace or is it on a slab where you are working?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote