Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
PDXGuy

Share |

Problem toilet flange

When I took the toilet out before tiling the floor, I realized it wasn't what I expected but we have lived here for 15 years and have never had a problem. However now that I want to put it back together I am wondering if I can fix the problem easily.

As you can see from the picture, whoever put the outer pipe flange in put it in so that a real flange won't fit as is. The toilet is held on by screwing the toilet down from the top. Since the bolt holes are where the toilet bolts should go, I can't just put a new flange on top of this one and there is no way this one is coming out.

The tile is less than 1/2" above the cast iron so I don't think I need an extender but I was at the store and saw an inside pipe cast iron flange that would likely put things right but would I be able to install that one inside the old pipe and would it fit over this mess?

Or should I just be glad it has worked for so long and not change anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Problem toilet flange-flange.jpg  

dougm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Problem toilet flange

I cant tell but is the top of the flange below the tile? If so AND if the existing flange is solid you can use and extender flange. Around here they come in either 1/4" or 1/2" thicknesses. You want to get your flange high enough so that the BOTTOM of the flange sits on TOP of the tile. Sometimes things kind of come together and you can do things this way.

Now with that being said, what I would do if it were my house and if I had access (maybe even if I had to MAKE access) is take that cast iron back as far as was reasonable and replace it with PVC. The pipe itself has seen better days. I'd make the transition from cast to plastic with a "shielded coupling". The ones I normally use are Proflex by Fernco.
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings

Good luck

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
PDXGuy

Problem toilet flange

Thanks for the answer but the point is that there is no way to attach the extender flange because the only two holes to attach it with are right where the screws go for the toilet attachment.

I will get the 1/4" extender and that will put it flush with the tile.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #4

Problem toilet flange

Don't spend the time or money on the inside flange. Purchase a 3/8 or 1/2" flange extender and connect it to the existing flange AND floor with screws. This will allow you to use standard closet bolts. Realize that you may re-set the toilet and find that the holes from the current type bolts are stripped out and need to start all over. The exit hole on the bottom of the toilet bowl is raised above the floor so if you have a 3/8" gap between the flange and tile, and another 1/2" gap to the hole, you are asking the wax seal to stretch it's limits for sealing.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
PDXGuy

Problem toilet flange

I like that thought, it has worked for years and the threads are still good.

Thanks everyone
Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #6

Problem toilet flange

Yeah JDC is right. 1/2" below tile is to low. it should be atleast even with tile or above tile. To attach you can use apoxy and let sit for 24hrs.

zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote