Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

Problem tightening toiled lid

Hey. My toilet lid is loose on one side, so I'm trying to tighten the nut onto the bolt that holds the lid to the actual toilet. Problem is, first of all, that it's really cramped and it's tough to even get in there.

More importantly, when I try to tighten the nut with a socket wrench, the whole bolt moves along with it, so that the nut doesn't actually move any further up the thread. I've tried using pliers to hold the bolt in place while I'm screwing the nut in, but 1) the bolt is plastic, so I'm afraid this will mess up the thread; and 2) the angle is so bad that this is almost impossible to do, since it takes two hands.

Anybody know of any tool or technique that would help me out here? Thanks.

superbeaver82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #2

You're on track using pliers. You should be holding the head of the bolt steady and tightening the nut. Once the nut grabs the underside of the bowl, you'll probably be able to tighten one or the other without having them spin.

If you damage them just get another set. They're cheap and are readily available.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

You might try getting the nut started on the bolt from underneath, then pushing the nut up against the bottom of the bowl and tightening the bolt from the top. Most of them are like KC says and the nut sort of locks itself against the side if the bowl so it stops turning. Even if not, you won't have to use a lot of motion in the cramped space under the bowl and can do most of the work from the top.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.

Last edited by mstplumber; 07-10-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote