Problem Installing Old Pedistal Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Problem installing old pedistal sink

Ok guys, I gots a problem. I am doing a complete restoration to my house (1920's) and in the bathroom, there is a modern pedistal sink. I hate this thing. Its got cheap faucets, and they are dripping all the time. I believe these are the type that are not repairable, just replaceable. Well, a few years back, I bought an antique sink from the 1920's (really fancy), which matches the house. Well, I did some measuring and found that the drain pipe coming out of the wall needs to be about 1" lower so the trap will line up. I really don't have the time to tear into the wall, and besides, this is something I would NOT want to do myself. I really don't want to mess with the old cast-iron, or galvanized pipes.....you know, a can of worms.

I am toying with with the idea of finding a piece of marble, having it cut, and setting the bottom of the pedistal on top of it, to raise it a bit. I am afraid it will look like crap though. The trap is PVC, and it goes into the wall into cast-iron. The drain pipe going out of the sink goes through the lever assembly to stop the water from draining. Because of this, I can not cut the drain pipe off high enough for the trap to line up. If I add a slightly longer trap to the drain, I believe that after the water drains, the shut-off lever assembly (inside the pipe) will be standing in water, cause a lot of problems .

Any ideas? I would appreciate any feedback on this. The new sink is dripping so bad, I am having to use the shut-off valves when not in use.

Advertisement

Last edited by bofusmosby; 10-16-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: additions
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Since I cannot see your set-up, it is hard to know what you have. On my pedestal sink, I have almost 4" I could have cut off of the tailpiece if necessary. The trip lever is the first joint from the sink drain. Then the tailpiece is about 5" long going into the trap. I cannot figure out why your trip lever would ever be in "standing water". I am assuming that the drain from the wall is at a difficult height to "squeeze in" all the drain piping from the sink. A picture would be great.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #3

You're right. A picture is worth a thousand words. I'll take some photos this weekend, and add them to this, this way, you'll see what I'm up against.

Thank you!

Bofus
Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Is it possible that you could replace the old sink drain with something newer and possibly shorter?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Well, first of all, I would have to figure out how to install the drain shut-off lever to the new assembly, and also, since I am NO plumber, I have no idea as to if the drain pipes are the sme size. I will be taking some photos this wekend, showing the existing sink, as well as the new (old) sink. I will have a yard stick from the ground up, giving a true refrence as to the height of not only the drain pipe, but also the old replacement sink as well.

Thank you for you response. I am hoping that someone will be able to figure out a way that I can use the antique sink on the installation.

Bofus