Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

Problem: bar faucet shank is too short

Hi all
I got a problem yesterday installing new faucet for bar sink.
Countertop is 1.5" thick and bar sink is mounted on top which adds another 1/8-1/4 because of foam pad.
After I drilled 2 holes and put faucet into them I realized that I have only 1/4 of shank out of the countertop bottom. It is barely enough to put plastic mounting bolts on it not talking about pipes.

What should I do now? It seems stores do not care long shank faucets. At least I cannot find one.

I cannot put extension as in this case it will be sticking outside and I will not be able to put mounting nuts.

any Idea?

vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Knows everything but that

Get a larger hole saw and counter bore it from the bottom so the nut fits?

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What kind of bar sink is it? The faucet should mount to the sink, not through the sink and countertop.

I'm confused with the problem you're describing.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #4

I have this sink:
http://www.kindredcanada.com/product...oup=1005&lvl=4

This is drop-in sink. May be you are right and faucet shold be mounted onto the sink. But I'm not sure as sink has mounts beneath only at front and sides. Not at the rear. So I assumed it is holded by faucet.

Counterbore idea is what I was told by a plumber (just my friend)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Household Handyman

You cannot counterbore with a hole saw. You will only cut a "ring" out with a flat bottom if you do not go all the way through the material you are cutting. In order to c'bore this hole, a plug must be made to fill in the existing hole so a spade bit can be used to do a c'bore--depending on counter material which was not stated. I'm with Alan on this one also: Why does the faucet set go through the countertop material? Normally the rim of the sink sits on the countertop material leaving enough room for the faucet set to fit between the c'top and sink bowl. That looks to be a typical "drop-in" sink which should just sit on the c'top material and use some type of clamps underneath to hold the sink in place. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Knows everything but that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You cannot counterbore with a hole saw. You will only cut a "ring" out with a flat bottom if you do not go all the way through the material you are cutting. In order to c'bore this hole, a plug must be made to fill in the existing hole so a spade bit can be used to do a c'bore--depending on counter material which was not stated. I'm with Alan on this one also: Why does the faucet set go through the countertop material? Normally the rim of the sink sits on the countertop material leaving enough room for the faucet set to fit between the c'top and sink bowl. That looks to be a typical "drop-in" sink which should just sit on the c'top material and use some type of clamps underneath to hold the sink in place. David

Silly me. Thanks for pointing out the idiot.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Yep. Your cutout for the sink should be only about 1/4" less than the outside of the sink. Faucet mounts to sink. Sink drops in. Caulk with clear caulking. You may need to put something of substantial weight in it if there are no clips in the back, just to get it to sit down until the caulking cures.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I would agree that faucet should be mounted to a sink if they does not include template for cutting opening for sink. Template is only for bowl and looks more like square. Then they state in instructions that 1.2" holes should be cut in countertop. 1.5" is smalled then diameter of plastic nuts.

and in addition as I mentioned before this sink has mounting clamps only at front and sides. Not at the top where faucet is attached. So i think it will wiggle if I mount faucet to upper sink edge without going through countertop.

I think I will try to c-bore with some dovel plug. If it fails then I still have chance to cut an opening and mount faucet to sink