Private Well Filter System - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Private Well Filter System

We just bought a home and its my first time dealing with a private well. We had the water tested and I need to find a whole-house filter that can remove lead and VOC's from my well water. Does anyone have any experience with any systems that can do this? I've found a number of filters that attach "under-counter" and I'd rather not do that for every sink/shower in my house.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

BigEDGE02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEDGE02 View Post
We just bought a home and its my first time dealing with a private well. We had the water tested and I need to find a whole-house filter that can remove lead and VOC's from my well water. Does anyone have any experience with any systems that can do this? I've found a number of filters that attach "under-counter" and I'd rather not do that for every sink/shower in my house.

Thanks for any help!
Start with a full water test, say Water Check.. with the water straight from the well and not any of the house plumbing.

There are different medias for different items and knowing just what is in the water and at what levels they are will help in finding the right media for the job.

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Akpsdvan. I actually had a full test done on both the raw "untreated" water and also the treated water. The only contaminants in the untreated water are the Lead (5.5 ug/l) and Tetrachloroethylene (2.48 ug/l), everything else was shown to be at good levels. The pH is 8.31. The levels all pretty much stayed the same for the treated water.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Akpsdvan. I actually had a full test done on both the raw "untreated" water and also the treated water. The only contaminants in the untreated water are the Lead (5.5 ug/l) and Tetrachloroethylene (2.48 ug/l), everything else was shown to be at good levels. The pH is 8.31. The levels all pretty much stayed the same for the treated water.
So if I am under standing this right your lead is at .0055ppm?
and the Tetrachloroethylene is at .00248ppm?
Action level for the lead is at .015ppm right?
and action level for the other is at.005ppm?
Is that correct or am I missing something?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

You are correct that these levels of lead are below the 15 ug/l action level, however, an "*" at the bottom of my water test report says that:

"The results of a "flushed" raw (untreated) water sample, which is required by the Private Well Testing Act regulations, should be compared to the Ground Water Quality Standard of 5 ug/l found at N.J.A.C. 7:9-6 et seq. The Lead Action Level of 15 ug/l applies to a one liter first-draw tap sample collected from a cold water kitchen or bathroom tap/sink in which the water has remained motionless in the plumbing system for at least 6 hours. This type of standing-water sample is NOT required by the Private Well Testing Act regulations."

I know that when the test was performed, the guy let the water run for about 20 minutes before he took the sample. I guess that is why the report says I should use the 5 ug/l as my benchmark for lead instead of 15 ug/l.

Sorry I forgot to mention all that earlier. I'd still like to bring that lead content down regardless though. Also like to bring the Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) down as well.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
You are correct that these levels of lead are below the 15 ug/l action level, however, an "*" at the bottom of my water test report says that:

"The results of a "flushed" raw (untreated) water sample, which is required by the Private Well Testing Act regulations, should be compared to the Ground Water Quality Standard of 5 ug/l found at N.J.A.C. 7:9-6 et seq. The Lead Action Level of 15 ug/l applies to a one liter first-draw tap sample collected from a cold water kitchen or bathroom tap/sink in which the water has remained motionless in the plumbing system for at least 6 hours. This type of standing-water sample is NOT required by the Private Well Testing Act regulations."

I know that when the test was performed, the guy let the water run for about 20 minutes before he took the sample. I guess that is why the report says I should use the 5 ug/l as my benchmark for lead instead of 15 ug/l.

Sorry I forgot to mention all that earlier. I'd still like to bring that lead content down regardless though. Also like to bring the Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) down as well.

Thanks for all your help!
Do a proper test first. From the sample tap on your pressure tank.

Let the water run at least two to three hours first.

Advertisement

Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote