Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Private well

I have a private well with an Amtrol pressurized tank. My pump is short cycling. The pump will only run for 15 seconds (I have to manually turn it on) before shutting down. Pressure gauge only reads at 30lbs. no higher. Tank will not fill. I have put a new circular "D" switch in. In addition, I have cleaned out the mageseum build up in both small pipes leading to the swith and the gauge. There are no filters between the pump and tank, only between the tank and house which has been changed. I am out of options.

Last edited by ajplank; 01-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.
ajplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Private well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajplank View Post
I have a private well with an Amtrol pressurized tank. My pump is short cycling. The pump will only run for 15 seconds (I have to manually turn it on) before shutting down. Pressure gauge only reads at 30lbs. no higher. Tank will not fill. I have put a new circular "D" switch in. In addition, I have cleaned out the mageseum build up in both small pipes leading to the swith and the gauge. There are no filters between the pump and tank, only between the tank and house which has been changed. I am out of options.
Sounds like time for a new pressure tank, the one that you have most likely is water logged.
If one tapped on the upper half of the tank it should sound hollow, but if it has a thud... then the bladder is gone and time for a new tank..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Private well

Quote:
It could be in the well.

Tell us more about the well.

Size, depth screen or not.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

Private well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Sounds like time for a new pressure tank, the one that you have most likely is water logged.
If one tapped on the upper half of the tank it should sound hollow, but if it has a thud... then the bladder is gone and time for a new tank..
Yep, can also be tested by using a tire gauge on the air inlet on the top. If water comes out it's bad and needs to be replaced. Get the biggest one you can fit in the space when you replace it, it'll make the pump work less
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Private well

Quote:
I am reading this as the tank has been changed....

Maybe it is just me???
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Private well

I know that it says that the Square D has been replaced, but nothing about which new D was used?
20/40
30/50
40/60?
If the pressure in the tank was not changed because or checked to make sure that it was 2 lbs below the cut in point.. that can be a challenge, but the not getting over X ... that does sound like the pump that I came across a few weeks back.
Old Red Jacket could not get over 40lbs on the gauge with the drain valve open to a point that the 40lbs would just hold....... open the valve and pressure would drop, close it and the pressure would slowly climb.
but it was not short cycling ....
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #7

Private well

30/50, new tank 2 years ago, I get the start cycle but no run cycle. Well 210 deep, static 80ft, pump level 175ft. 10 years old.

Last edited by ajplank; 01-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
ajplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #8

Private well

Quote:
30/50, new tank 2 years ago, I get the start cycle but no run cycle. Well 210 deep, static 80ft, pump level 175ft. 10 years old.
What size is the casing?

Jet or, submersible pump?

Is there a screen in the well? (if there is, it could be plugged)