DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Private Water Meter? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/private-water-meter-14580/)

fauer 12-18-2007 09:18 PM

Private Water Meter?
 
my water bill is crazy high.... I am sitting in the basement listening to the tenant (next door half of townhouse / duplex) water running forever. I wonder how much they use and if they are excesive and that is why my water bill is crazy high.
We have one water meter where it comes in my house on my side. Could I install another water meter for my use on the pipe leading into their unit? Any idea on cost and how?
thanks

Mike Swearingen 12-18-2007 09:52 PM

Contact your public water supplier to determine cost of their setting a separate meter. You will bear that cost, plus the cost of connecting from new meter base to the tenant side of the house. A pro plumber can quote you the latter, and then you will know whether it is worth it to you.
Mike

Marlin 12-19-2007 06:51 PM

Like Mike Swearingen said call your local water district. If the apartment is illegle forget about it. If it isn't then they can fill you in on what specifically needs to be done, it's going to vary from one area to another.

jpplumber 12-19-2007 11:46 PM

I don't see how you can get stuck with a water bill for two properties while only living in one unit, unless you own the property and are the one renting the other half. If you both are renting or leasing these units, then I think the owner should be responsible for the water bill or the owner needs to foot the bill to separate the two lines for two separate meters.
Are you sure there is only one meter for both units? Perhaps there is a leak somewhere that you are not aware, under the ground.

majakdragon 12-20-2007 10:59 AM

I would suggest starting at the souce first. Ask the neighbor about his water usage. See if he would not run water for a 5 minute period and see if you still hear running water. Many water departments will not install a seperate meter without a seperate account. When I lived in Ohio, a landlord was required to have the bill in their name but could charge the tenant for the bill. Good luck.

USP45 12-20-2007 11:30 AM

I have installed many a flow meter on lines where there are more than one using the supply from the street. All you have to do is mount it in your place and moniter the number of gallons comming through, then compare to your bill. Legal? Yes, I have done it many times and inspectors and the town know it.

majakdragon 12-20-2007 12:06 PM

While I agree that it is legal to do this, it is not cheap. My comments were to give you a no-cost option to help settle the problem. Your neighbor may have a leak they are not aware of, or don't care about.

Marlin 12-20-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majakdragon (Post 82080)
While I agree that it is legal to do this, it is not cheap. My comments were to give you a no-cost option to help settle the problem. Your neighbor may have a leak they are not aware of, or don't care about.

Very possible.
We get quarterly water bills here (I'm not sure if that's standard everywhere or not). One quarter the bill was almost double. I came to find out one of my tenets toilets was running like their was no tomorrow. Of course they wouldn't bother to inform me.

A seperate meter is legal if the apartment is legal. Having a second meter (after your meter) then charging your tenets for their water usage is illegal. It is however perfectly legal to jack up the rent because of the water usage.

Marlin 12-20-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USP45 (Post 82077)
I have installed many a flow meter on lines where there are more than one using the supply from the street. All you have to do is mount it in your place and moniter the number of gallons comming through, then compare to your bill. Legal? Yes, I have done it many times and inspectors and the town know it.

It's perfectly legal to have a flow meter. It is charging someone for water based on it's readings that is illegel. The inspectors probably just didn't want to get in the middle of a problem with you and the housing department. They try to avoid being the middleman, if it isn't their department they keep their mouths shut usually.

USP45 12-20-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 82120)
It's perfectly legal to have a flow meter. It is charging someone for water based on it's readings that is illegel. The inspectors probably just didn't want to get in the middle of a problem with you and the housing department. They try to avoid being the middleman, if it isn't their department they keep their mouths shut usually.

I have only installed them in buildings where there was only one business. Then they would put a wall down the middle later on and split it into 2 stores. The meters would be installed so the owner could calculate water consumption between 2 stores in his own building which is legal. They just split the water bill based on the consumption is all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved