Price For Plastic Straps To Prevent Galvanic Corrosion - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Price for Plastic straps to prevent galvanic corrosion

Hi.
I had a plumber tell me that I need to replace my old metal straps with plastic ones to prevent corrosion. I browsed on this site and saw that he was telling me the truth -- galvanic action. I have 30 straps to have replaced and he quoted me $1,245.00 including bracing with 2x4's every 4 to 6 feet. Is that price reasonable?
Thanks!!

Advertisement

sle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle20 View Post
Hi.
I had a plumber tell me that I need to replace my old metal straps with plastic ones to prevent corrosion. I browsed on this site and saw that he was telling me the truth -- galvanic action. I have 30 straps to have replaced and he quoted me $1,245.00 including bracing with 2x4's every 4 to 6 feet. Is that price reasonable?
Thanks!!
You need to browse a little more

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 732

The tip off should have been the gun and the mask when he gave you that price.
Got any pictures of where these need to go? There has to be something your not telling us for a price that high on about $20.00 worth of materials and a couple of hours work.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The tip off should have been the gun and the mask when he gave you that price.
Got any pictures of where these need to go? There has to be something your not telling us for a price that high on about $20.00 worth of materials and a couple of hours work.
Depends on what the crawlspace looks like i'd say.

If it's easy, and it's a normal sized house and you wanted an estimate from me, i'd guess it would take me most of the day to remove all the steel strapping, add blocking, and re-secure the piping.

Every time I have to add a block, I have to crawl in, take a measurement, crawl out, cut 2x4, crawl back, nail it up, then secure the pipe.

Doesn't sound much like a fun job to me. I'd probably quote it a little high too, otherwise T&M here i come.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Quote:
Hi.
Thanks!!
Do you have copper or steel pipes?

How do you know you have a galvanic proplem in the first place?

$1245.00? Wow....

I would be willing to bet that you wouldn't need much if any blocking....I'm sure some of those pipe run perpendicular to your floor joists...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

not bad for a days work. if plumbing didn't pay that good when i was doing it. he isn't replacing the galvanized strapping on the drain lines is he?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

Rather than reply my "ummm I'm not sure" to each of you individually, let me just cop to the fact that I am a woman obviously being taken for a financial ride by this guy. For that info, I THANK ALL OF YOU! So, what DO I know?

I believe I have copper pipes and galvanized steel straps (or the other way around??) [insert here] One way or the other, the two metals together will eventually corrode and I'll have leaks. He was going to replace the straps with plastic as a preventive measure. There are also a few pipes that looked a little saggy (I saw a photo on his cell phone but I don't have it). He was going to brace those up. My craw space is easy to get to (through bottom of closet door) and it appears you can almost stand up...maybe a little hunched over.

I learned that I had the problem in the first place when the plumber was in the crawl space replacing a Pelican water filter as part of my annual service.

Another option is to have a Handyman type of person do it. (sorry - I'm more of a girly-girl ) Do you see any risks if I get this done from someone other than a plumber? I got a ballpark quote of 1 day to do that and two other little jobs I have from a Handyman that has worked with me before.

BTW - you guys (and this forum) is GREAT! It is so handy to have all these guys around to get advice from!! Hardly makes me miss my ex
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

I read this link - thanks for sharing it...it's good to know going forward. Although it says I can't get estimates on here, the general reaction to my posting showed me I was getting robbed and gave me some factors to consider. It was really helpful and I appreciate that they took the time to give some guidance.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Another option is to have a Handyman type of person do it. (sorry - I'm more of a girly-girl ) Do you see any risks if I get this done from someone other than a plumber? I got a ballpark quote of 1 day to do that and two other little jobs I have from a Handyman that has worked with me before.
I wouldn't hire a handyman to even touch plumbing. Not that your case is extremely critical, but it's like when athletes try to branch out into other sports, they end up not being so great at it.... or when actors try to become singers..... most of the time they are much better at one thing than the other.

Besides, having a plumber walking around under there for half a day might not be a bad thing. He may find some other issues that need addressed and inform you of them.

It wouldn't hurt to call another plumber and get an estimate.

Advertisement

Tags
galvanic action , plastric straps