Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Price-phister Shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?

Price-pfister shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?

Hello- What is the correct lingo for what I need to fix a leaky tub faucet?

I called ACE hardware, and they tell me I need a rebuild kit???? This is NOT a SINGLE hot/cold valve. What this is...are two separate handles, a hot and cold. When I try to find DIY videos or written instructions, all I get are single-handed shower valves that handles both hot and cold in one valve. I think I have a two or three valve shower assembly...I only have hot and a cold, where is the third valve located? (I have been told I have three)

I know that the plastic handles in time, get stripped, and I will have to replace those, but when I removed the handle, and torqued down tightly the threaded end of the stem using pliers, I still get dripping out of the drain spout. I took the COLD side plastic handle, which was not internally stripped, and placed that on the hot side, closed it off the best I could, and yes, it still leaks, so I'm guessing it's the O-ring. (Fingers crossed)

The three pics shown is what i've done so far...removed plastic handle,unscrewed the trim,unscrewed the nut that holds that outer threaded plastic tube that hold the trim on,and now I see a brass tube with a bigger nut behind it. I've tried to counter clock wise unscrew this big nut,but I am afraid something either will break or become loose. Any ideas? The dripping is driving me crazy!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Price-phister Shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?-price-pfister-shower-valvessmsm.jpg  

Last edited by Bozohelp; 06-11-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Bozohelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

You do not really have to unsrew the white plastic 3" long bushing if you do not want to. When you get to that step, there is a special wrench, it looks like a 4" pipe but on the end it has an hexagonal shape which will fit the nut inside the hole. With a channel lock try to unscrew it counterclock-wise. By doing this you get the whole stem. With a special square wrench go inside the hole and unscrew the seat which it is way deep inside. Replace the seat with a new one the same size. Now you have the whole stem outside, change all the washers and o-rings or if it is very bad, buy a new one the same size. Using the same hexagol wrench, put the new stem inside again and tighten clockwise. Put the other items you took out. To work inside the hole, it is difficult and you need a flashlight . You have to put the seat and the stem very precise or it is going to leak.

Gabriel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
To work inside the hole, it is difficult and you need a flashlight. You have to put the seat and the stem very precise or it is going to leak.
silly question.....Do you mean through the small stem, or through the inside of the now exposed bigger nut?

My brother the plumber told me this is all common sense, but I told him if plumbing repairs were all common sensed, everybody would be a plumber!!! Yes it is a Price-pfister, he put it in when he re-piped the house, but do you think he would come over to help his bro?

Could I damage something by only using channel locks to loosen that big nut? I'll squirt some Blaster Lubricant or wd40 to help loosen it up. I don't want to take the chance to loosen anything in that wall that could cause future damage. Faucet wrench set be better? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #4

You have to take the whole stem out. The bigger nut. The channel lock only does not work. you have to use the pipe with hexagonal shape so it goes inside the hole to grab the nut.
Gabriel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozohelp View Post
Price-pfister shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?
Bozo,

We have the exact same looking Price-pfister shower faucets in our home. I've repaired them several times over the years.

1. Turn off the water to your home.
2. Screw the nut with the white plastic sleeve back in to provide support for the larger nut. Unscrew the larger nut counter-clockwise, (bottom photo). I just use a crescent wrench.
3. The thing that stops the water flow to the faucet is a rubber washer that's held on to the tip of the shaft with a round head screw. Replace that washer.
4. The thing that stops water from leaking around the shaft is packing. Often it is quite hard to find replacement packing that can fit. The last time I worked on ours was about a month ago. I couldn't find replacement packing at the hardware store so I had to re-use the existing ones. If your packing is leaking, then you might have to go to a plumbing supply or order two from the manufacturer. Buy some plumber's grease for the packing. Ask the plumbing store for the correct one.
5. When you re-install the shaft, be SURE that the shaft is in the open position. If it is all the way closed, when you tighten the large nut with a wrench you will compress the rubber washer at the tip too much and damage it (or shorten its life).

It's a very easy job so go for it,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

you need a socket that comes in a set like this

http://www.nextag.com/PASCO-Shower-V...97/prices-html
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #7

Quote:
The dripping is driving me crazy!
Just noticed your "driving me crazy" note. To stop the dripping noise until you repair the faucets, get an old T-shirt and rip about a 1.5" wide strip off. Tie that to the spout and let the drip run down the T-shirt strip.

I've seen folks recommend using a string but sometimes it's hard to have the drip go down the string reliably. A wide strip of T-shirt is super easy to catch the drips.

HRG
Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #8

Thanks for all your input guys!
I bought a package of flat washers,and will do this in the morning...in case something happens tonight, then I would have to turn off the water overnight.

I bought the faucet wrench, he told me this is a universal size, Home Depot ($6.00)
(1) Turn the house main water off, open the line (maybe the bath sink too) keep the hot side stem open,
(2) Remove the stem, with Phillips driver, unscrew the flat washer,
(3) Re-install both washer and stem,turn water back on, and hope for the best! If still leaks after this, my option then would be to go buy new seats,and that tool to remove the seat, a new washer....BUT, if that's not the case, then replace both hot and cold stems.

You mentioned plumbers grease...very necessary?, or can I use Teflon tape on the stem threads to put back in?

You'all are awesome..thank you!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
You mentioned plumbers grease...very necessary?, or can I use Teflon tape on the stem threads to put back in?
The plumber's grease is not to stop leaks. It's just to lubricate the packing so the shaft can turn smoothly. Frankly, I don't know whether the plumber's grease is even necessary but I've always used it just because it seems like lubricating the shaft to packing is a good thing to do.

Teflon tape is used to help seal metal pipe threads and has no relevance to the packing.

HRG
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Hi and no leak yet! it was a bad flat washer in the shower stem, not the O-Ring.

I bought that wrench tool from home depot...$6.00. I opened the stem all the way,turned off the water to the house. removed the stem from the inside wall pipe. When I carefully removed this stem, i did not notice the 0-ring on the stem, but inside along the edge rim, so I preceded to unscrew the small Phillips screw holding down the flat washer, replaced it, and re-inserted the stem back into the walled pipe. I did not use plumbers grease or Teflon tape,but hope this will work. I shut off/closed this stem, went outside and slowly turned the water back on...THEN......and....and.....and.....one drip, one s-l-o-w drip...not the constant drip,drip,drip that was filling up a gallon of water in about an hours time before the repair.
Because of this one slow drippity drip, I went ahead and replaced the other (cold stem as well) now, no leak! Thanks to all who chimed in and helped me..much appreciated.

Next time it will be the replacing of both stems. 
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
the Musigician

Gotta love a happy ending!

DM
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi and no leak yet! it was a bad flat washer in the shower stem, not the O-Ring....snip...
Because of this one slow drippity drip, I went ahead and replaced the other (cold stem as well) now, no leak! Thanks to all who chimed in and helped me..much appreciated.

Next time it will be the replacing of both stems. 
Glad to hear your drips are gone . A good rule of thumb is "always" replace parts for both faucets when one starts leaking. If fact, I now rebuild all of the faucets (shower/tub and vanity) in both bathrooms when one starts leaking. The rebuilds are fast and one trip to the hardware store does it instead of multiple trips as leaks occur. (Providing of course that the leaks are not premature.)

Cheers,
HRG

Tags
leaky shower drain, nut, o-ring, valve stem