Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Share |

Price Pfister kitchen faucet hot water pressure issue...

I replaced the cartridge in my 533 Genesis model single handle pull-out kitchen faucet. I am having one issue. The water pressure is slightly less when all the way hot at full blast. The water supply is turned on fully. Not sure what else to look for or trouble shoot. Please help.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Just a suggestion; You didn't say, but you probably have already done this, did you remove and clean the aerator on the pull out handle? And while the aerator was off, did you let both hot and cold water run for awhile?

Another possibility is your hot water supply shut off for kitchen sink maybe stuck. Is the shut off the old type or newer 1/4 turn/ball angle stop? Sometimes those old ones, even though you turned it all the way back on, may only really be open a 1/4 or half way. Please post a pic of your supply shut offs under the kitchen sink if you can. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 05-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #3

Yes, already did that.

I did turn both cold and hot water supplies all the way back on. Attached is a pic of the hot water supply shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Just a suggestion; You didn't say, but you probably have already done this, did you remove and clean the aerator on the pull out handle? And while the aerator was off, did you let both hot and cold water run for awhile?

Another possibility is your hot water supply shut off for kitchen sink maybe stuck. Is the shut off the old type or newer 1/4 turn/ball angle stop? Sometimes those old ones, even though you turned it all the way back on, may only really be open a 1/4 or half way. Please post a pic of your supply shut offs under the kitchen sink if you can. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Yea, that's the older type. The problem with the old type especially on the hot side, they set for years and years in the fully open position. When you finally do shut it off, then go to open it again, they get stuck, corroded, or break inside and don't open up all the way like they should. Now, I don't know if that's your problem or not. It's a possibility.

You have two options; 1) You said it's only a slight difference in pressure, so you may want to leave everything alone for now until you are ready to do everything at once. Or, 2) Replace shut off and faucet supply line. Read on for further suggestions and advice.

You can try a little pb blaster or wd40 to that shut off and open and close it a couple of times to see if that may help. However, it's not very likely. It's probably broke inside and you could end up making it worse, I don't know.

What I would do, is replace it with a 1/4 turn straight valve (see link below). If you do not have another isolation valve on that line, you will have to shut water off to house, open a faucet to relieve pressure to replace it. It looks like the old type is a straight screw on to male thread from what i'm able to make out in the picture. Is that correct? or is it soldered? If it's soldered right to the pipe itself (no threads), then you won't be able to unscrew it and you will have to go with another option.

I would also get a new braided supply line as well (see link below). Additionally, I know you said you're not having any problems with the cold side, just a suggestion, while you have everything off, now would be a good time to do the cold side as well if you can afford to and be done with it. Then you'll never have to worry about it again.

Is this something you feel comfortable diy or will you be hiring a pro? Let us know what you decide to do, will try to talk you through it the best we can. Again, I don't know if this will solve your problem or not. But your supply shut off looks like it has a lot of mileage on it. These links are examples only. You will have to determine the actual size valve and length of supply line you need. Thanks.

1/4 turn straight valve

braided faucet supply line

Last edited by jmon; 05-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Only other thing is to replace the shutoffs. Most likely the hot water is clogged with crud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jmon (05-06-2013)