Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Preventive Maintenance - Swere Rodding

Hi Everyone - I moved into my house 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with the sewer. I live in the suburbs of chicago. My house was built in 1975 and I can't speak of what occurred prior to me moving in.

One of the local companies is having a special listed below for $80. Wanted to get feedback below if this type of preventive maintenance is required? I have the philosophy that i'd rather spend a little money now on maintenance, then have a large problem in the future.

Is there any value in the maintenance below if i've never noticed any sewer issues?

Sewer Rodding Service Includes: Rodding of your main sanitary sewer line from accessible cleanout access with an electric power rod and cutter blade.

Sanitary Sewer Line Televising Includes: Televising of your main sanitary sewer line, this is state of the art technology that allows you to see live footage of the condition of your sanitary sewer line. You will be able to see if your sewer lines are blocked with tree roots, decaying, separated or if your line has broken pipe. Yearly power rodding of your sewer lines will help prevent high cost sewer repairs and/or help avoid a messy, nasty and unsanitary situation!

majch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Well, the theory is that you'll never notice any problems until you have a major one.

In all honesty, if you want to be pro-active, i'd say running a camera to check out the lines would be the least abusive on the lines, especially if they are old.

It wouldn't hurt to do it at least once so that you know where you stand as far as the condition of the lines. If the condition is good, you probably won't need to worry about it for many years.

plummen (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 508

if built in 1975 you probably have pvc or abs sewer lines. if so it is rare that you would have a root issue due to the pipe being 10 foot sections and glued unlike older clay pipe that was 2 or 3 foot sections held together with cement. the root issue comes in to effect when you get a crack and water starts to seep and the tree roots follow the water and start growing inside and around pipe as they grow it cracks pipe more causing pipe to fill up more until it breaks and collapses
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'd go with the cam and only allow them to rod if a problem shows.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,228

80 bucks is a deal, I won't come to your door for that. Get the camera work done. Skip the rodding unless needed. Don't buy anything else without sleeping on it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DIY Chatroom
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by majch View Post
Hi Everyone - I moved into my house 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with the sewer. I live in the suburbs of chicago. My house was built in 1975 and I can't speak of what occurred prior to me moving in.

One of the local companies is having a special listed below for $80. Wanted to get feedback below if this type of preventive maintenance is required? I have the philosophy that i'd rather spend a little money now on maintenance, then have a large problem in the future.

Is there any value in the maintenance below if i've never noticed any sewer issues?

Sewer Rodding Service Includes: Rodding of your main sanitary sewer line from accessible cleanout access with an electric power rod and cutter blade.

Sanitary Sewer Line Televising Includes: Televising of your main sanitary sewer line, this is state of the art technology that allows you to see live footage of the condition of your sanitary sewer line. You will be able to see if your sewer lines are blocked with tree roots, decaying, separated or if your line has broken pipe. Yearly power rodding of your sewer lines will help prevent high cost sewer repairs and/or help avoid a messy, nasty and unsanitary situation!
Well i never believed in this type of service... in the way of preventive mantiance....if home owner is shown cracked tiles....which alot of older homes had....they are forced to replaced sewerline....again if it not broke don't fix it....if you have a problem it will surface....home built in 1975...abs or pvc piping..should not have any problems....don't waste the money....seen so many lines replaced that did not need to be replaced.....ben...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (05-01-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Well i never believed in this type of service... in the way of preventive mantiance....if home owner is shown cracked tiles....which alot of older homes had....they are forced to replaced sewerline....again if it not broke don't fix it....if you have a problem it will surface....home built in 1975...abs or pvc piping..should not have any problems....don't waste the money....seen so many lines replaced that did not need to be replaced.....ben...
Ben is absolutely correct wait till you have the problem then fix it, we run free cameras after every cleaning because of the warranty we provide and to verify that the line does not have a problem, but only after the blockage. Preventative maintenance maybe the kitchen line if any.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-02-2012)