Preventing Storm Water Intrusion Into Outdoor Shower Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Preventing Storm Water intrusion into outdoor shower drain

Any one know of a valve that could be used to stop storm water intrusion into a outdoor shower drain during a flood. I was thinking of a directing acting float valve that would remain open to allow flow during normal use around the pool but during a flood a float/lever in an external tank would rise closing of the valve in the drain pipe. Unfortunately I can't find such a beast. Any ideas?

Advertisement

MJIDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

You can install a floor drain check valve assembly in place of the usual shower drain, or install a drain check valve further down the drain pipe.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Good suggestion but if I an not mistaken that will only stop sewer water from backing up into my shower. What I need is a valve that will stop flood water from entering into the city sewer from my shower drain. The new flood code in town requires that rim to any sink, toilet or shower be above 11 feet. Since my backyard is at 8 ft that means I would need to build an elevated shower. That is not the look I want near the pool. So I was thinking of incorporating in the sewer line something like a direct acting float valve that would only close if the external float (in an external tank) on the end of a lever was lifted by flood water. Do you know where I can get that type of valve?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

How will the drain know the difference between shower water draining and flood water draining............that is the $64,000 question?

With time and money you should be able to build something that will work but will the inspector approve it? Discuss with inspector to see what, if anything, he will approve.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

The idea is to have an external float directly connected to a in line valve in the sewer drain that will shut the drain only if flood water fills an external tank where the float is. Otherwise the drain will always remain open while external float remains in the down position. Do ya think the above valve will work? I will run it past the plumbing inspector as you suggest.