Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

Share |

Pressure Tank.

I am ready to install the plumbing system in my new home here in Costa Rica. My well is 4 meters deep (14') and I need to buy a pressure tank. My house is two story, one bath room up, one down and a kitchen. In the future I will be building two cabinas (cabins) so will have two more bathrooms on line in the future. What size pressure tank should I get? and what size pump? I've want to get a fiber glass one as we will be on the beach. My choices here are 22gal, 26gal, 36gal, and 50gal. I'm thinking 36? Also what size pump. Now I have a 1.5hp used for the construction (not submersable). The run from the pump house to the house is about 100'
tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

Pressure Tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropic home View Post
I am ready to install the plumbing system in my new home here in Costa Rica. My well is 4 meters deep (14') and I need to buy a pressure tank. My house is two story, one bath room up, one down and a kitchen. In the future I will be building two cabinas (cabins) so will have two more bathrooms on line in the future. What size pressure tank should I get? and what size pump? I've want to get a fiber glass one as we will be on the beach. My choices here are 22gal, 26gal, 36gal, and 50gal. I'm thinking 36? Also what size pump. Now I have a 1.5hp used for the construction (not submersable). The run from the pump house to the house is about 100'

Generally, the larger the tank the better it is for your pump - less cycling on and off. If you have the room (and money), go for the bigger tank. As far as the pump goes, that really depends on the recovery rate of your well. You cant put a 20gpm pump in a well that only produces 15 gpm. If that's not really an issue, a 1/2hp, 10gpm submersible pump would probably be good enough. A shower will use 2.5gpm (unless you have hi-flow valves with 3/4" supply lines and 3/4" shower heads etc)., so you'd be maxed-out if all 4 showers are being used simultaneously. If someone's also doing laundry and/or running the dishwasher you'll start noticing a drop in pressure and volume. So...if you only plan on occasional guests, the 1/2hp, 10gpm would be fine. If you plan on having a full house(s) fairly often (rental cabinas?), I'd go up to a 12 or 15gpm pump.

And remember to have your well water tested annually!

Last edited by Ishmael; 05-03-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #3

Pressure Tank.

So a 50gal tank with a 1 hp pump will give me more than sufficiant water flow? Over kill isn't a problem?
tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote