Pressure Relief Valve Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pressure Relief Valve Leaking

Hello! My pressure relief valve has been leaking for about a month. I replaced it with a new one yesterday and the new one is leaking as well. I tested the pressure on the washing machine outlet (right next to the pressure relief valve) and it read 60 psi (the pressure relief valve is set to 75).

I am on city water and have a 5 gallon expansion tank hooked to a 65 gallon water heater. I notice that the pressure I read on the hot water line is 85. After installing the new pressure relief valve, as soon as i turn the supply back on it begins to leak. Is this my Pressure Reducing valve or my expansion tank going bad?

I also briefly opened the air fill valve on the expansion tank and it seemed to mist (not a steady stream). It was only open for a fracion of a second.

Please help!

Advertisement

new_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

I would also like to add that the relief valve I am talking about is the relief valve on the cold water line

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_DIY View Post
Hello! My pressure relief valve has been leaking for about a month. I replaced it with a new one yesterday and the new one is leaking as well. I tested the pressure on the washing machine outlet (right next to the pressure relief valve) and it read 60 psi (the pressure relief valve is set to 75).

I am on city water and have a 5 gallon expansion tank hooked to a 65 gallon water heater. I notice that the pressure I read on the hot water line is 85. After installing the new pressure relief valve, as soon as i turn the supply back on it begins to leak. Is this my Pressure Reducing valve or my expansion tank going bad?

I also briefly opened the air fill valve on the expansion tank and it seemed to mist (not a steady stream). It was only open for a fracion of a second.

Please help!
you should only get air from expanison tank.....shut off water bleed pressure.....then check to see how much air pressure in in expanison tank,,,, or just remove it from system see if its filled with water
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

I will give that a shot... i double checked my pressure reading and noted that if i tapped on the gauge it shot up to about 80psi on the cold line.... adjusting the pressure reducing valve had no apparent influence (valve is 25-75psi)... this leads me to think that the reducing valve is, in fact, the culprit....

Agree?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

I am somewhat confused. You say you have a pressure relief valve on the cold water line. I have never seen a pressure relief valve on a cold water line, can you describe it, maybe put up a picture. The pressure relief valve I am familiar with are attached to the hot water heater, or the boiler, so I am not sure why you would need a pressure relief valve on cold water piping.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am somewhat confused. You say you have a pressure relief valve on the cold water line. I have never seen a pressure relief valve on a cold water line, can you describe it, maybe put up a picture. The pressure relief valve I am familiar with are attached to the hot water heater, or the boiler, so I am not sure why you would need a pressure relief valve on cold water piping.
Iam with you dan i feel your pain...just trying to help him some how...I got from his post ..mist comming from expanison tank...figured he could start there ...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #7

Google has the same confusion when i try to solve this problem. The valve is seen here

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UG43UpiunXo

This is connected to the cold water line
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Just for the record..It's called a pressure regulating valve and you should be able to adjust it to lower set point...thus lowering main pressure to at least 10% less than relief valve. (they are only accurate within 10%)

Where is this relief valve located anyway...I'm getting the impression it's on the domestic water system...I've never seen one in that application except on HWTank. Then, I thought HW TANK/relief valve would be set for at least 100psi..Guess I need some more edu macation

AND cushion tank sounds like Hot Water Heating system so, am I missing something here? Could be defective cushion tank..shouldn't have water coming from air fill valve.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_DIY View Post
Google has the same confusion when i try to solve this problem. The valve is seen here

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UG43UpiunXo

This is connected to the cold water line
cap it
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

You said you have an expansion tank on top of hot water heater..that doesn't make sense to me..I think you must be referring to EX TANK above Boiler for hot water heating system..right?

If that is the case then where is the relief valve located..I think you said ..on line next to washing machine..was it the hot water feed or cold water feed ...

more oictures showing location of valves, cushion tank and HW tank and piping would be helpful
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
You said you have an expansion tank on top of hot water heater..that doesn't make sense to me..I think you must be referring to EX TANK above Boiler for hot water heating system..right?

If that is the case then where is the relief valve located..I think you said ..on line next to washing machine..was it the hot water feed or cold water feed ...

more oictures showing location of valves, cushion tank and HW tank and piping would be helpful
Pictures will help a lot here.

FYI UPC requires expansion tank for hot water storage devices in closed systems IE : Check valve at city.

Your increase in pressure is coming either directly from your city connection (are you on city water?) meaning that your pressure regulator isn't working properly or needs adjusting OR from thermal expansion occurring after the water heater is used, and during heating of the water.

If you're saying that the pressure relief valve leaked right away after changing it, can you tell me this : What is the pressure rating on said relief valve?

Usually a pressure only relief valve is used on a pump system. I'm not sure why you would have one if you're on city water (not sure about that still)

Does your water heater have a temperature/pressure relief valve in the top and/or side of it? This should be sufficient unless you're leaving pieces of the puzzle out that we can't possibly know about.

Advertisement