Pressure Reducing Valves - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pressure reducing valves

I have a question about pressure reducing valves. Several people in my area have had their PRV's go out within the same short time span. They are of differing models and in different sized houses with a different number of people using the water. The only thing that seems to be in common with all the situations is that we are all in the same area. We alerted the city to the issue and they found that their big PRV's for the area were going out. The city is, of course, denying any responsibility in the case and saying that the home valves were all going bad anyway.

My question is: could the high pressure resulting from the city's PRV's failing cause a home PRV to fail?

Advertisement

hezlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,268

Pressure reducing valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezlauber View Post
...could the high pressure resulting from the city's PRV's failing cause a home PRV to fail?
It sure won't help it but they still don't have to "fail" to cause issues.

Many cities have increased their water pressure as their service area increases and many will also up the pressure seasonally for the higher use during the warm months.

How old are the homes (and PRV's) around there?

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pressure reducing valves

It's a fairly new area. My home is about 9 years old. The others here are about the same or newer.
hezlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,628

Pressure reducing valves

I just looked up a PRV from watts- max working pressure was 300psi
I doubt you have that! Do you have a strainer installed on the PRV?
I would suspect contaminants in the water causing early failure.
BTW- I'm going to move this to the plumbing board-

Ha, it's been done as i speak
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 95

Pressure reducing valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezlauber View Post
I have a question about pressure reducing valves. Several people in my area have had their PRV's go out within the same short time span. They are of differing models and in different sized houses with a different number of people using the water. The only thing that seems to be in common with all the situations is that we are all in the same area. We alerted the city to the issue and they found that their big PRV's for the area were going out. The city is, of course, denying any responsibility in the case and saying that the home valves were all going bad anyway.

My question is: could the high pressure resulting from the city's PRV's failing cause a home PRV to fail?
i am by no means a plumber, so my answer is purely a SWAG...

short answer is, it could.

if the main PRV went south, i would think there would be more than "several" home owner PRVs going out, it would be much more widespread. also, the area in which the issues occurred, is that on its own distribution channel, or are there other areas served by the same water main? if so, you'd need to see if people there also had the same problems.

if areas A and B are on the same main, and only area A had problems while B had nothing, that kind of rules out the city's pressure as the cause.

a friend of mine, who owns his a plumbing/hvac company, told me years ago that the #1 cause of a PRV to fail ( outside of manf defect or an el cheapo valve ) is age. if the valves that failed were all about the same age - regardless of manufacturer - and they were all say 15 years old or older, that might be the root cause of the failures.

basically, they all may have been on borrowed time, and the spike in main water pressure was the straw that broke their collective backs.

that being said, good luck in trying to get the city/gubment to do anything, as that looks to be an uphill struggle.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote