Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

Pressure Reducing Valve Woes

My Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) is in my water meter box in the sidewalk. A strange thing happened I dug out all the dirt that was covering all the pipes and the next day I went to work on it and it was covered in dirt again, how did this happen?

Checked the water pressure with a Watts gauge on a hose bib and it was reading 90 PSI, which I believe is in the range of dangerously high. Tried turning the screw all the way out on the PRV and still no change. I opened the bell housing top of it to see if I could clean it out. It was pretty dirty. I couldn't get the diaphragm off, so I put it all back together after cleaning it up to see if any change. Still 90 PSI with screw all the way out. Tried screwing the screw down to see if it would change at all. Went up to 100 PSI then I backed it off, but the pressure stayed at 100 PSI. Took it apart again this time I got the diaphragm off, which was kinda stuck on there by prying underneath with a screwdriver. But got stuck again, think that I probably have to access the rest of the insides from that bottom plug. Was hoping that I could just take it all apart with out removing it from the ground and clean all the parts and put it back together and hope for a miracle.

Is there any chance that taking it apart and cleaning it will make it work again?

If not is it possible to find a rebuild kit for it?

I could not find any brands or numbers on it, so I have no idea who made. I attached a bunch of pictures here (sorry if there is too many), does anyone recognize what brand it may be?

From the pictures does it look like I have a union fitting so that it can be removed easily (if I have to take it out) without having to be able to move the pipes because that would be very difficult?

Thank you in advance for any help.

BentSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Is there any chance that taking it apart and cleaning it will make it work again?
Ayuh,... Probably Not....

Replace it...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

Groundhogs, replace it.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSpace View Post

If not is it possible to find a rebuild kit for it?
I'm no pro but I've had an eye out for rebuild kits which I've not seen anyone offering. I have a similar valve inside my home and knowing that it is mechanical I'd buy a rebuild kit just to have the parts on hand if or when I need them. I know the brand/model of the one I have too! If you screw in too far I think it effectively disables the regulator entirely (probably that 100 psi reading you got), and I'm guessing once you backed off for whatever reason it didn't back down. (worn/weak spring, or mineral corrosion making it stick?) Taking it apart, cleaning, reassembling, etc might fix it short term but you're probably delaying the inevitable. I never would have thought of burying it in the dirt! Where I'm at in central IL it'd surely freeze in the winter.
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

So I checked once again and I have to eat a few words. I found on the manufacturer's site for my unit (a Watts brand regulator) they list a repair kit for it, so technically such a rebuild kit might exist for yours but I'm guessing its not the kind of thing widely stocked or readily found by a non-pro.
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote