Pressure Pump Switch - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pressure pump switch

Hello!
Please kindly assist me on installation and setting of pressure pump switch.
Thanks.

Advertisement

KennyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

pressure pump switch

I think people will need a bit more info: make, model, pictures, type of tubing, where you are stuck on the install, etc...

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

pressure pump switch

Hello,
Thanks so much Bob22 for your response, I have connected the pressure pump switch but I have problem with setting in order to work automatically with turning tap on/off.
I will upload its picture! As soon as possible.
Thanks.

Regards,
KennyMan.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

pressure pump switch

Kennyman,
Pump pressure switches have either one or two pressure adjustment spring-loaded nuts on threaded bolts. The kind with one is automatically set 20 psi apart for the cut-on to cut-off psi. The kind with two have to be adjusted separately. You turn the nuts down to increase pressure and up to decrease pressure. I use a nut driver, but you can use pliers or thr right size open end wrench.
If you adjust it with the power on, be very careful not to touch the open wire connections and also you will jump when you turn the nut down enough for the pump to kick on. I always do...lol.
The switch should be set 20 psi apart either way and the pressure tank air pressure should be 2 psi below the switch/pump cut-on pressure.
For instance, if your pump is 1/2-hp, it probably should be set at 20-40 psi cut-on/cut-off with the pressure tank set at 18 psi.
If it a 3/4-hp pump. it probably should be set at 40-60 psi with the pressure tank aired to 38 psi.
To test and/or set the pressure tank bladder pressure, turn the pump off and drain down the water pressure and then check the air pressure with a tire gauge. If if it is too high, bleed it off just like a tire valve. If it is too low, air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor.
'You just have to work with the switch to get it right. It is best to have a pressure gauge on top of the head of the pump coming up from the largest plug.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 07-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Swearingen For This Useful Post:
KennyMan (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

pressure pump switch

Hello Mike,
Thanks so much for your posting, it is very useful for me.
My machine is 1/2 HP, I will try as u said.
Thanks.

Regards,
KennyMan.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

pressure pump switch

You have to set the cut out first, usually in the 40 - 50# range then the differential, usually 20# less.
What, exactly is the problem? When you draw water what happens to the pressure gauge readings? When does it cut out and then, when does it cut in?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
KennyMan (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #7

pressure pump switch

Hello,
I have installed my pressure pump, the problem now is that when I turn on the tap the pressure pump will not work until I adjust cut on nut before it will work and at the same time when I turn off tap the pressure pump will not stop until I adjust cut off nut before it can stop working. What could be the problem? Setting! Please, can somebody tell how the pressure pump switch setting is gonna look like?
Thanks so much, once again I say thank you to Bob22, Mike Swearingen, a7ecorsair and others for your support.
Thanks.

Regards,
KennyMan.
Attached Thumbnails
pressure pump switch-paulthurst41_square_d_pumptrol_pressure_setting.jpg  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 258

pressure pump switch

Is this a new install? Have you run the incoming power to the switch or was this picture taken before that? Once installed the switch will turn the pump on and off according to the water pressure in the system, not necessarily because a tap was turned on.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
KennyMan (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

pressure pump switch

Hello Daveb1,
The picture I attached is just to let you know the kind of pressure switch I was talking about. What happened is that the pressure pump is working but I want it to work in a way that when I on tap it will supply water and when I off tap it will stop. At times it will supply water but when I off tap d pressure pump will still stop working until I adjust the cut off nut. Like wise, when I turn on tap some time d pressure pump will not work unless if I adjust cut on nut. All I want is to set it in a way that it will be working automatically without any adjustment to cut on / cut off nut everytime.
Thanks so much for your support.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

pressure pump switch

A pressure system (pressure tank and pressure switch) is designed to NOT turn the pump on every time a tap is opened. Follow Mike's advice from post #4 and you should be good to go.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
tpolk (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

pressure pump switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyMan View Post
Hello Daveb1,
The picture I attached is just to let you know the kind of pressure switch I was talking about. What happened is that the pressure pump is working but I want it to work in a way that when I on tap it will supply water and when I off tap it will stop. At times it will supply water but when I off tap d pressure pump will still stop working until I adjust the cut off nut. Like wise, when I turn on tap some time d pressure pump will not work unless if I adjust cut on nut. All I want is to set it in a way that it will be working automatically without any adjustment to cut on / cut off nut everytime.
Thanks so much for your support.
Why in the world would you want a water system to work like this? As posted by others, you cannot make the pressure switch behave like you want it to.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
KennyMan (07-11-2011)