Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

pressure comes and goes

Hi folks
I having problemswith the water pressure. While running tub or washing machine the water slows to nil. AS the pump kicks in the pressure is best of kind. tried draining the system and put 40 psi back into the tank ,but still the same. Also the pressure release valve on the water tank has to open sometimes to let water out, but tank pressure still shows 40 psi. The pump is in the well....also changed the release valve and pressure switch...any advice ...thxs caper

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #2

pressure comes and goes

So, you're on a well system, correct? How much grit/sediment do you have in your well? When you drained the pipes, how much sand and crap came out?
Do you have a filter on the system? Have you changed it or is it clean?

When the pump is running, if you're standing next to the pressure tank, do you hear hissing or the sound of water being reduced? i.e. a clogged or reduced pipe. Think clogged arteries for a comparison.

The pressure gauge sounds like it's clogged, scrap it and get a new one.

Do you have a water softener in the system?

I had a well for about 13 or so years and have wayyyy to much experience with sediment in a system. It sounds like you have a reduction somewhere in the system. The pump sounds like it's got plenty of pressure, if you're blowing the safety valve once in a while.

FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #3

pressure comes and goes

thxs for the info
yes i'm on a well, as far as sand and grit in the sysem.there seems to be some. As far as filters go i'm sure if they are blocked somewhat, as a matter of fact i do not know where they are.Moved into the house 5yrs ago so i'm not certain about the system. But i will look into your suggestions today,thxs again
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #4

pressure comes and goes

Your pressure tank might have a torn diaphram (if it had one) or it might have lost its air if it is an old non-diaphram tank. If you don't have enough air in the tank you'll quickly lose pressure and your pump will have to run too frequently. It will also overpressure quickly because water won't compress like air will.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote