Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Power direct vent vs power vent WH

Wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why PDV water heaters are not as popular as straight PV types.
Seems to me that blowing air from indoors out, is counter productive when energy efficiency is such an important factor. The air must get replenished with cold outdoor air(or hot in the summer)
What's the deal?

gkaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing. Investigating right now in fact, I need to get a new water heater pronto.
And the quote I got for a PDV was 2/3 the cost of the straight PV - both Rheems, PDV40 vs PVS40.
Why would that be?

northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaro View Post
Wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why PDV water heaters are not as popular as straight PV types.
Seems to me that blowing air from indoors out, is counter productive when energy efficiency is such an important factor. The air must get replenished with cold outdoor air(or hot in the summer)
What's the deal?

PDV's are more expensive than PV. They're typically only spec'd in situations where it isn't possible to vent a non-direct vent unit. A PV exhaust termination has to be a minimum of 4 feet away from any doors and windows while a PDV exhaust termination only has to be 1 foot away. Nowadays, you can get a good direct-vent tankless water heater for less than a PDV tank.
Ishmael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #4

Hi northernlight,

You're saying that the power Direct vent is less expensive than the power vent?
That usually is not the case.

Just to be clear... a PV (power vent) is a 1 plastic pipe exhaust unit that uses a motor to expell gases. Combustion is via air in the home.

A PDV (power direct vent) is a 2 plastic pipe unit that still uses a motor but the combustible air is drawn in via the second pipe to a sealed chamber.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaro View Post
Hi northernlight,

You're saying that the power Direct vent is less expensive than the power vent?
That usually is not the case.

Just to be clear... a PV (power vent) is a 1 plastic pipe exhaust unit that uses a motor to expell gases. Combustion is via air in the home.

A PDV (power direct vent) is a 2 plastic pipe unit that still uses a motor but the combustible air is drawn in via the second pipe to a sealed chamber.
Yes. I understand the difference. The Rhemm PVS40 was quoted at $400 more than the PDV40. I actually had the vendor confirm it, it seemed to me the PDV should be more money. He said he'd be happy to charge me more for it if it made me feel better, but that was the price and it was no mistake. Maybe I should just nab it while I can....
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
PDV's are more expensive than PV. They're typically only spec'd in situations where it isn't possible to vent a non-direct vent unit. A PV exhaust termination has to be a minimum of 4 feet away from any doors and windows while a PDV exhaust termination only has to be 1 foot away. Nowadays, you can get a good direct-vent tankless water heater for less than a PDV tank.
I saw that and thot it might be a misprint. Then saw the tankless is 3'. Different again. Wondering why?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael

Ishmael.
Is the termination for dual pipe DV direct vent not 4 feet?
I'm almost certain that in my area that a PV and a PDV have the same termination requirements.

???