Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Poured cement around water pipe

After repairing the sewer pipes I replaced the cement in my basement floor. During this process I covered the opening to the foundation that housed both my sewer pipe an water pipe leading out of the house.

Was this a mistake?
Attached Images

Rp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't understand the question, they are usually buried, and always accessible with a jack hammer.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Typically, you want to sleeve the copper with something. It will most likely become a problem many years down the road as the lime in the concrete slowly eats away at the copper.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

I've never seen them being accessible with a jack hammer every house I know they have a removeable cover. You're in a world of hurt probably if they do have to use a jack hammer and cemented it in (vs. covering it completely in sand and then pouring the concrete).

They're left exposed with a cover for a reason. Typically because tree roots have grown into the pipe and plugged it a plumber would run a device to cut the roots out down that opening. In my case my sewer wasn't working right and the plumber put a camera down the pipe at that location and we found a dip (probably a sink hole).

I've never seen them cemented in, I would opt it was a mistake. I'm thinking back and remember my father and neighbor had a plumber cut roots out using that opening, and me with my sewer pipe that dipped.

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-16-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote