Potential For Freezing? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Potential for freezing?

I've been remodeling my master bath and added another shower head using the water lines from a sink I removed to extend out the shower. The lines were coming up from the floor, about 12 inches in front of an exterior wall. I didn't want the shower head lines to be located right on the exterior wall because of potential issues of freezing, so I built another wall in front, creating a 12 inch barrier between the original exterior wall that was insulated and the new wall for the shower that I attached the lines to. Could I still run into an issue of freezing/bursting pipes even with the water lines moved a foot out from the insulated wall? I live in va by the way- coldest it gets a night is about 20 degrees during the coldest months.

Advertisement

cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

Potential for freezing?

Here are 2 images of what I'm referring to. The wall has been covered with 1/2" backerboard and 1/4 inch tile. The inside left wall behind the new wall faces a closet and the rights side faces the tub as you can see. The only external wall is the back wall which is insulated with fiberglass. No pipes are actually resting against the external wall- both hot and cold come up from the floor and are 12-14" infront of the external facing wall.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Potential for freezing?-pipes1.jpg   Potential for freezing?-pipes0.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by cobrakai; 12-27-2010 at 05:11 PM.
cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Potential for freezing?

No if you build out another wall that would be the equivalent of running pipes in an interior wall. I have done that many times if I can not reroute it to an interior wall. The only issue would be if something happens you would have to rip out the wall the have access to the plumbing. It is not ideal, but there is no issue with freezing.
bc0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Potential for freezing?

For good measure you could put more insulation behind the pipe. Do not put any insulation in front of the pipe, against the interior side. The significance of building a "double wall" is that a pipe in an exterior wall also needs no insulation between it and the interior wall which will result in a reduced R-value in portions of the wall where the pipe(s) run.

It would need a Ph.D. in thermodynamics to analyze the situation to give an accurate answer to the question of whether there is a freeze danger.