Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Post footing and drain is in the way

Good day all this is my first post and I need a little help. I enjoy doing renovations to my house and I research and do the things the right way. I am planning on on taking out a load bearing wall in my basement and have had the plans engineered. I know I need to have a post footing 39"x39"x12" deep but the problem is the stack for the plumbing is in the way for the footing. I was just wondering what I should do to resolve this issue. Can anybody recommend anything.

Thanks,

Tom

Tommmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you could provide us with pics and/or sketches, then I'm sure that we can figure out a way to help.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

I am confused. You say you had the plans engineered. That sounds promising. Then you say that the support, presumably shown on the plans, cannot be installed because there is a stack in the way. Did you have the support engineered? If so, I would go back to the engineer and point out that the plan as developed is unbuildable, and ask the engineer to redesign the support so it can be constructed.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-21-2012), concretemasonry (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Since you have discovered a conflict with the pipe and the post locations, you have two choices"

1. Relocate the post slightly to miss the vent and find out if the beam design will be adequate as designed with a slightly different span. the 39"x39" footing sounds a little large unless the loads are great or the soil is poor.

2. Modify the plumbing/venting system slightly to allow the footing (as originally designed) to miss the footing.

The solution will depend on the costs and practicality.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommmboy View Post
Good day all this is my first post and I need a little help. I enjoy doing renovations to my house and I research and do the things the right way. I am planning on on taking out a load bearing wall in my basement and have had the plans engineered. I know I need to have a post footing 39"x39"x12" deep but the problem is the stack for the plumbing is in the way for the footing. I was just wondering what I should do to resolve this issue. Can anybody recommend anything.

Thanks,

Tom
as i always say a picture is worth 1000 words,,,or in your case an answer to your question...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-21-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am confused. You say you had the plans engineered. That sounds promising. Then you say that the support, presumably shown on the plans, cannot be installed because there is a stack in the way. Did you have the support engineered? If so, I would go back to the engineer and point out that the plan as developed is unbuildable, and ask the engineer to redesign the support so it can be constructed.
My neighbor owns a engineering firm and he was able to get the drawing done for me. I guess we just never took the stack into consideration when we were measuring things out since the stack is in my laundry room and out of sight.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
as i always say a picture is worth 1000 words,,,or in your case an answer to your question...
How does one go about posting pics or drawings to this site?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I would say that it's unlikely that the pipe will be travelling horizontally through the footing, but you'll never know until you open up the area.

If it's not travelling horizontally through the footing, shouldn't it be OK to penetrate the footing vertically? In that case you could build the form around the pipe.