Possible Shower Stem Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Possible Shower Stem Problem

Hey Guys,

Just bought a house, and im slowly fixing things. I have a shower upstairs. Its the kind that has two valves, one hot one cold. They are dripping, when i switch the water from the faucet to the shower head some water sprays out behind the handles. I attached a picture that i hope helps.

I was thinking that I need to replace the shower stems inside the handles but im not 100% sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Shower Stem Problem-img00034-20101120-1805.jpg  

Advertisement

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Stems are the problem. I would take them out and see if maybe they just need new packing. I have some similar to yours and there are parts available to rebuild them. They could be worn enough to need replacing, no way to tell till ya get 'em out. Be sure and put some new seats (and washers) in there while you're at it.

Advertisement

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Check the valve stems, the washers on the ends of the stems for wear and the valve seats inside for corosion. The washers and seats will probably be included with the new stems anyway.

It sounds like you have two issues there. Bad washers and possibly the seats which will cause the dripping and worn packing inside the valve stems that will allow water back through and out the chrome sleeves.

You will need a faucet wrench set as wel as a faucet seat wrench if you need to replace the seats.

You want to have your water supply turned off naturally. But you will also want to have those valve stems in the fully on (open) position before you remove and ultimately replace the valve stems. Otherwise you risk damaging or even removing the valve seats.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Stems are the problem. I would take them out and see if maybe they just need new packing. I have some similar to yours and there are parts available to rebuild them. They could be worn enough to need replacing, no way to tell till ya get 'em out. Be sure and put some new seats (and washers) in there while you're at it.
Great thank you, I might just end up buying new stems. That way I wont have to worry about them for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Check the valve stems, the washers on the ends of the stems for wear and the valve seats inside for corosion. The washers and seats will probably be included with the new stems anyway.

It sounds like you have two issues there. Bad washers and possibly the seats which will cause the dripping and worn packing inside the valve stems that will allow water back through and out the chrome sleeves.

You will need a faucet wrench set as wel as a faucet seat wrench if you need to replace the seats.

You want to have your water supply turned off naturally. But you will also want to have those valve stems in the fully on (open) position before you remove and ultimately replace the valve stems. Otherwise you risk damaging or even removing the valve seats.
Awesome, I might do that this weekend, beside the valves what else is inside the faucet? I dont want to mess anything up.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

If they are like mine (and they look like it), check the stems to make sure they are tight, sometimes i need to tighten the new assembly to get the packing seated good around the stems or they will still leak. If the stems don't come with new seats (mine don't), replace them too while you're at it. You'll need a seat tool-they are only a couple of bucks (if you don't have one). Put a good coat of plumbers grease on all contacting threads and the stems where they go thru the packing, and anywhere a screw goes in.(makes it seal better and screws and assembly come out easier next time). Make sure the washers are good and tight-should be a philips brass screw on the end holding them. O-rings are also included on mine and are already in place.
As Jim said, make sure the stems are in the fully open position when installing so as not to damage anything. Let us know if that fixes it!
good luck

Last edited by Lightfoot; 01-21-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
mikeylikesit580 (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Thanks Lightfoot, I am gonig to try and fix it soon. Thank for responding so soon.

Advertisement