DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Portable Dishwasher hookup

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ScottR 
#1 ·
I am interested in getting a portable dishwasher. I live in an apartment and there is a space for a washer with the water hook-up and a drain however, the laundry room is across the hall so I am not going to get a washer. Since this space is adjacent to my kitchen (read 2 steps as it is a very small place!) I was thinking about attaching the portable dishwasher there. I know I could roll it out every day but if there is a way to attach a hose to the spigot and add an extension so the water would go into the drain area I would like to do that. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Yes, it should be pretty easy to hook up, except if you want to do it right you should check 2 things:

- Is that up to code in your area (some jurisdictions have some very specific requirements for dishwasher drainage)?

- Is that OK with your lease (it could theoretically say washer/dryers are OK, but dishwashers are not)?

As far as hookups are concerned, you may be able to connect a standard (preferably steel-braided) washing machine hose from the hot water tap in your washer area directly to the dishwasher, though it depends on the model.

There should already be an electrical outlet for you to plug into.

And hooking up the drain is just a matter of putting the drain hose from the dishwasher into the washing machine drain pipe, and then securing it with a couple of zip ties so it doesn't pop out when the machine drains.

The only caveat about hooking up the drain hose is that there must be an air gap between the outside wall of the hose and the inside wall of the pipe (so in other words the hose must be smaller than the pipe). The code requirement for the size of the air gap varies in different locations.

#3 ·
I checked and they said it would be ok to put the dishwasher there. I live in a student apt so I actually called the facilities and maintenance office and they said that I could do it - and it was ik with the building/drainage code. I then went to Home Depot and they said it could not be done. Since I am not comfortable doing this myself I think I will have to get someone to do it for me. Thank you for your help - and let me know if you can think of any other tips - I appreciate it.

#4 ·
I then went to Home Depot and they said it could not be done.
:laughing::laughing: Don't worry, they're either trying to cover their arse or they're wrong.. It'll work; the worst case is that you'll have to buy a couple of inexpensive fittings to get everything hooked up.

Since I am not comfortable doing this myself I think I will have to get someone to do it for me. Thank you for your help - and let me know if you can think of any other tips - I appreciate it.
Always a good idea if your not comfortable with the work.. You don't necessarily need a plumber though. A decently knowledgeable handyman (or DIY guy) should be able to get it done for you for less $$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.