Pop Up Assembly Removal - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pop Up Assembly Removal

I am removing a faucet along with the drain pipe assembly and could use some suggestions on how to get the drain pipe assembly out. I removed the P Trap and got the nut, seal and washer all the way down but the ring that sits on the tube in the sink will not budge. Other than a hacksaw, any suggestions? I tried oil but that did not help. I have tried to hold the ring and then twist the tube but that did not work. Thank you!

Advertisement

Faucetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Pop Up Assembly Removal

You'll need a dumbell wrench/drain removal tool . You should be able to find it at a big box.

Advertisement

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,300

Pop Up Assembly Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
You'll need a dumbell wrench/drain removal tool . You should be able to find it at a big box.

How will that help with a pop-up drain ring?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Pop Up Assembly Removal

I think I got fixated on drain and kinda zoned out on the rest. Sorry OP but I was way off base.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Pop Up Assembly Removal

If it's been adhered into place your solvent depends on the type of adhesive - first try vinegar and something to scrape with to work it under the flange because most drains are set with plumber's putty which is applied underneath.

If you see the slick shine of silicone then buy a solvent made for that.

It might take a few tries with different chemicals - but without someone being able to look at it and determine the adhesive material used trial and error is the only advise I can give.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,300

Pop Up Assembly Removal

When I get a pop up ring that won't turn--I use channel lock pliers and grab the chrome ring ---

Be careful that you don't scratch the sink bowl---

I've never had that fail---However if it doesn't work for you--slide a hacksaw blade down the drain and slice the ring in a couple of places---that should break it free.

Worst case---Sawsall it off from under the sink.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Pop Up Assembly Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
If it's been adhered into place your solvent depends on the type of adhesive - first try vinegar and something to scrape with to work it under the flange because most drains are set with plumber's putty which is applied underneath.

If you see the slick shine of silicone then buy a solvent made for that.

It might take a few tries with different chemicals - but without someone being able to look at it and determine the adhesive material used trial and error is the only advise I can give.
I tried vinegar with a toothbrush and scrubbed the inside and outside of the ring area. The result.....It worked! Thank you. Now onto the installation. I wonder how many problems I will encounter with this. I have never replaced a faucet but I am sure that is obvious
Faucetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faucetguy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-24-2011), Snav (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Pop Up Assembly Removal

Voilla! Vinegar's awesome - I have gallons of it sitting around.

Your potential problems: very few - modern day faucets come with all the necessary tidbits. I've only run into odd problems when retrofitting a new faucet to a very old sink fixture. . .and so on.

If you replace it with a pop-up stopper my advice is to get a replacement metal slip and/or shaft if yours comes with a plastic one. Plastic slips tend to give and take and just aren't as solid - allow for the popper to pop out of the slip completely which is just obnoxious.

But at least you'll know - from here on out - how to fix one!

Advertisement