Pool Parts...what Is This For? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Pool parts...what is this for?

Alright so as the regulars on here probably know, i've had numerous problems with my pool on the house that i just bought.

I have two questions about some parts and what they are for.

First part:

The top piece sits inside the bottom picture which is my skimmer.

Now i have two questions...

First, my assumption is that the part functions this way:
When there is water inside the piece in the middle will float to the top which then allows water to flow through the skimmer through the pipe, if the water gets too low then it will not float and then the pump will only suck water through the bottom of the pool...

is that correct? I just dont want to test it to find out and mess up my brand new $400 pump i just bought.

The reason i ask is because i had to almost completely re-pipe all the above ground plumbing because i had old jandy valves that were leaking.

Before:

After:

Now my other question, if you look in the second picture, there are two holes in the bottom of the skimmer. Whenever i have the pump on only one of them is actually sucking in water...what is the other pipe for?

Now the reason im asking all these questions is because my pool somehow is draining. At first i thought it was from the leaking of the jandy valves and my booster pump. I bypassed the booster pump and re-plumbed everything and i'm still losing water.

I'm currently doing a test to see what's happening, basically i'm measuring the water level once a day, for two days without the pump on. I'm going to refill the pool and measure the water level with pump on. Hopefully this will give me some insight into if the leak has something to do with the pump or not.

I also tried finding the leak by turning off the pump, and using food coloring, pouring a little bit by each jet, the light, and watching to see if it flows towards the jet or looks like it is leaking out. Nothing happend. The only one i didn't test was the bottom drain because i would have to swim down to the bottom. That's going to be my last resort.

SOOOO anyways, problem after problem, i think i'm done and finished....nope, always something new

Ahh, i almost forgot too...

I also have that pipe coming up near my outdoor lighting which is also near the pool. Whenever i have the jet in the middle of the pool on (meaning the valve is to all jets or just that one) i hear it sucking air through those pipes. If i set the valve to only go through the jets surrounding the pool it doesn't make any sounds.

Does anybody know what that is for?

Advertisement

Last edited by tripflex; 10-22-2009 at 01:25 PM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 105

You are right on the first question. It's a low water level protector to stop the pump from sucking in air if the water is low.

Regarding the 2 holes in the bottom of the skimmer. One is most likely just capped off. Run a snake down the one that doesn't have suction and it should stop within a foot or so.

Not sure about the air suction pipe setup but could be for adding air for the jets.

Regarding the leak. Put a coffee can or glass jar in pool on a step or something to allow the rim to be just above the water level. Equalize the water in it with the pool level. This will show evaporation vs. leak. If the jar is fuller than the pool after a few days then most likely a leak. If a leak is expected then first check the backwash valve. Then use plugs to close off skimmers and main drain from pool side. Of course don't run pump. Wait a few days and see if the jar is now even with pool. If so the the leak is on drain side. Reverse to jet side if works easier for you.

Not easy chasing leaks in pools due to so many connections hidden from view.

Advertisement

Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
You are right on the first question. It's a low water level protector to stop the pump from sucking in air if the water is low.

Regarding the 2 holes in the bottom of the skimmer. One is most likely just capped off. Run a snake down the one that doesn't have suction and it should stop within a foot or so.

Not sure about the air suction pipe setup but could be for adding air for the jets.

Regarding the leak. Put a coffee can or glass jar in pool on a step or something to allow the rim to be just above the water level. Equalize the water in it with the pool level. This will show evaporation vs. leak. If the jar is fuller than the pool after a few days then most likely a leak. If a leak is expected then first check the backwash valve. Then use plugs to close off skimmers and main drain from pool side. Of course don't run pump. Wait a few days and see if the jar is now even with pool. If so the the leak is on drain side. Reverse to jet side if works easier for you.

Not easy chasing leaks in pools due to so many connections hidden from view.

Okay thanks i'll give that a try! Here are the measurements i made for the past 2 days, without the pump running at 5pm.

10/21 - 1 3/4" from top of pool
10/22 - 4" from top of pool
10/23 - 4 1/2" from top of pool

It seems like for the first day it loses the most water out of any. I thought i kind of noticed that before when i kept refilling it before when i thought it was because of the pump leaking (replaced with new one). I just measured it and it has only gone down less than a 1/2" in 24 hours when in the first 24 hours it went down 2 1/4"...wonder why that would happen?

I'm thinking about just not refilling it until it completely stops losing water. I'll give the can thing a try and see how that goes. Thanks for the input.

Also, where can i get "plugs" for the bottom drain and the skimmer? Thanks!

Last edited by tripflex; 10-23-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
DIY Apprentice

Checked the pool this morning and it's not even 5" .... i don't get it! It's like the first 3" goes down really quick, after that, it doesn't even really drain! The bad thing too is it is just low enough to where the skimmer still have some water in it, but not enough for the pump to run with the skimmer open. Arrrgggg! Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

2 possible things I thought of:

#1 leak is at a certain distance under water
As water drains out pressure decreases as it gets close to the leak area
As presuure drops it leaks less

#2 As water leaks out pressure drops (in pipes) & less water is forced out

I have a few small leaks that I have patched over the past few years & noticed the water does not drain as fast once it gets close to the levek of the leak

I use my scuba gear to swim around & check out the pool
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

David, welcome to the site.
The thread you posted to is from 2009. Likely they've resolved the issue.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote