Polybutylene Replcament To CPVC Or PEX Central MD - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Polybutylene Replcament to CPVC or PEX Central MD

I am looking to replace the polybutylene in my house, looking to do the work myself.

If I go the DIY route, using CPVC, although PEX is an option to.

Its a townhouse, 1.5 baths. The only wall cutting is to get up stairs to the full bath( and some in the bath itself). but most of the runs are fully exposed int he basement.

Why do ti myself, cause i'm getting estimates from $3000 to $6000, just can't afford it.

1. Does anyone know what permits and/or license i need to do the replacement myself? Not running anything new, just a replacement.

2. If you had to go with CPVC or PEX, which is better? Yes i know copper, I'm handy but not sweating copper pipes.

3. With CPVC(already purchased some pipe), Lowes gave me the All-in_one primer solvent(yellow). Is this the right stuff, is it allowed in MD or carroll county? Do i need to go with the two-step purple primer and solvent(think its orange).

4. If i did go with PEX, would it be OK to run a main CPVC line then branch off wiht PEX to all the connections? This is doable, very small simple layout house, just wondering if its ok.

Thanks for any help, on questions above or any other ideas you wuld like to share before i tackle this project.

Advertisement

Wrangler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Permits are usually required for plumbing alterations/upgrades. Check your local authority. In my area, homeowners can do their own work too.
As far as which material to use, I would use PEX. CPVC hasn't been used in my area for quite some time but is still widely used in other areas. Pex takes some special tools but is very user friendly.
You can make your mains any material you want. Adapters are available.
As for glue, I can't help with that. I don't run enough CPVC to remember...

Advertisement

jaydevries (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,588

yes i agree with eplumber ....except....why would you want to run to different materials....cpvc is imp junk....run your system all in pex makes the most sense.. never did like mixing materials maybe just me...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (06-12-2012)

Tags
polybutylene cpvc permits