DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   poly pipe with brass barbed adapter (

Ron S. 11-15-2012 03:19 PM

poly pipe with brass barbed adapter
Would welcome advice in best way to insert brass barbed to male ips adapter into 1-1/4" PE pipe. I should mention the pipe will be the water supply to a strucure, and also it's starting to get cold here in Reno, NV. Thanks!

TheEplumber 11-15-2012 06:19 PM

I use a heat gun or my mapp gas torch. Slip 2 hose clamps over the end of the pipe, carefully apply heat to the pie end. Soon it will soften enough to insert the adapter with a little force applied. Tighten the hose clamps that you have positioned on the barbed section. Be careful with the heat. Especially if using a torch. Always keep the heat source moving and not stopping at one point on the pipe- it will burn it. I can't say how much heat to use as the pipe schedule and heat source plays a big part. Go slow- if it won't push in, apply more heat.

Ron S. 11-18-2012 10:25 PM

poly pipe and barbed brass fittings
The inspectors are insistent on two apposing (180 degrees) stainless steel clamps on the pipe over the barbed end of the fitting. I've been told by a few how difficult the connection can be on larger size pipe. That said, I'm confident I'll have little problem if I procede slowly and follow your instruction. Perhaps I should mention that I'm a plumber. Thanks! again.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1