Point Of Use Vs Whole Home Tankless Electric - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Point of use vs Whole Home Tankless Electric

I am in the process of buying my first home and one of the big issues with the home is that the furnace is about 45 years old and pretty expensive to operate. Because of this I am having it replaced with a lenox heat pump unit for a very reasonable price. Now replacing the furnace with electric has got me thinking that maybe I should drop electric for my hot water heater as well.

The house has one bathroom and no dishwasher. So only uses would be showers and washing machine (which I run on cold anyways). So really its just a shower and occasional hotwater at the sinks. From what I have seen I only need between 3-4 GPM for something like my situation.

I could keep the gas heater and pay the 20 bucks a month for just that one gas item in the house and pay the deposit (im assuming around 120) to get service started. Or just buy and electric tankless and be done with gas.

The other issue is which one to get? My needs are pretty minimal so most of the units I have seen in the 3-5 GPM range seem to all say they are for point of use application. My question is what is the difference? or is there a difference between whole home and point of use other than max flow?

I am considering the Rheem RTE-13 http://www.rheem.com/product.aspx?id...6-5D993D6207F1

It is a 4GPM unit that simply says ideal for point of use applications.

Cost wise the unit above runs about 250 and the plumbing I can do myself. I would need a 240v 40amp run set up for it though, which I have to have one installed for my heat pump anyways so probably not much more to have both done. Any input would be great. I have heard a lot of the pros and cons of tankless vs storage and I guess the cons of tankless dont bother me (just me so never will there be 2 users and I use a very small amount of hot water) Thanks.

Advertisement

joergeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Point of use vs Whole Home Tankless Electric

Anyone have any input on this?

Advertisement

joergeske is offline   Reply With Quote