Plunger For Elongated Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Plunger for Elongated Toilet

I have 2 of the new low flow, elongated toilet bowls. (Lucky me ) Wife insisted..

A typical plunger will not work on them since I can't get a seal since this is elongated. I did use an auger to clear a clog but would rather use a plunger if there is one that will work with this style toilet.

Any recommendations or brand names? I have been to the big box stores, hardware stores they say..all that I can use is an auger.

Hope you guys have some suggestions.

Tx,

Tom

Advertisement

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75

THIS IS THE STYLE I HAVE
USED ON BOTH ELONGATED
AND ROUND BOWL
WORKS GREAT ON BOTH
HYDRO THRUST

Advertisement

MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks... this has a long, not round drain - like a scoop... none of the round plungers I have can get a seal since the scoop part of the toilet is too long.

Is the rubber soft enough on this one to countour to it and cover it up for a seal?

Tx,

Tom
Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 558

Easy, buy a standard toilet plunger and remove the short handle then replace with a wooden broom handle.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

It's elongated, almost like a gravy boat (Don't blame me..) with the narrow part towar4ds the front...even the largest traditional round plunger won't cover all of it so no seal... I guess their isn't something you guys can use other than an auger... ?? ?

Tx

Tom
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75

yes that is why it works so good
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

I too have this problem - exactly. Two of the elongated toilets, such that a normal round plunger doesn't form a seal, and thus when you push down most of the force gets directed back towards the gap in the front - not down the drain. This makes a huge mess!

Hydro Thrust is useless. It's still round, and thus still has the same problem.

I can't seem to find an elongated plunger anywhere. I'm amazed that no one seems to make these - it seems like there would be a big market for them.

I have found one thing that works somewhat, though isn't desirable. If you use a normal plunger and squeeze the sides as you put it down into the bowl it fits better into the elongated bowl, and forms a better seal. The problem is this requires one to reach one's hand down into the bowl - obviously undesirable in many circumstances.

epson - I'm not sure what the handle length has to do with anything. The problem is the shape of the rubber bottom - not the handle.

roztom - if you're still around - I feel your pain! Did you ever find a good solution?
WolfStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #8

I ended up with a hand auger. It ain't pretty but it works. Just be careful not to scratch the porcelain. It does the job.

roztom
Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roztom View Post
I ended up with a hand auger. It ain't pretty but it works. Just be careful not to scratch the porcelain. It does the job.

roztom
Really? Wow.

I've used a couple of different types of augers - that also does the trick; as you say you have to watch to not scratch the porcelain, and you can end up with a mess (e.g. poop literally stuck inside the auger head - ugh).

One thing that seems to me that would be perfect would be an auger-type device that has a solid tip - something that could auger into the pipes and literally just push the blockage through. I tried doing this in fact by attaching a ping-pong ball to the tip of the auger - unfortunately the auger screwed through the ball.

I think I'm going to try one of the bellows-type plungers and see how that works. That seems like it could get further down into the hole and thus have a better seal.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #10

Let me know if that works for you.. the poop is an issue but what can ya do....? tx
Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,656

I'd be interested in - how to be careful - not to scratch the bowl.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

OK so -

I went to Home Depot to check out what they had. They do have the bellows-type plungers. However - instead I got this one - a Korky MaxPERFORMANCE plunger.

The main reason is that it's more pliable/flexible. The bellows-type are still made of fairly hard plastic - not rubber, and thus I'm sure still wouldn't conform to the shape of the bowl, which is key. The Korky plunger also is shaped more to fit down into the hole better, with it's "nose" if you will.

After a couple of uses I have to say - the Korky plunger is awesome! It really does conform much better to the shape of the bowl, and thus doesn't cause water to splash back up when pushing down. It's worked great so far.

One caveat perhaps - since it does fit down more into the bowl, if you have a particularly ... messy plugged toilet - i.e. with a lot of crap still in the bowl, it might be more inclined to come in contact with it (and thus need cleanup). That's pretty much a necessary thing though in my case - with the odd shaped bowl. The only solution to that would be if someone made an actual elongated-shaped plunger (elongated horizontally), which doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyhow - two thumbs up on this plunger, so far at least (I haven't yet had any really, really difficult ones to plunge).

I do have perhaps take this back, that I said earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfStock View Post
Hydro Thrust is useless. It's still round, and thus still has the same problem.
Being round in itself isn't so bad (the Korky one is also round), as long as the plunger is soft enough to conform to the shape of the bowl (which most aren't). I haven't tried the Hydro Thrust - if it's softer then it might work as well. Though it doesn't seem to have as good a shape as the Korky one.

Advertisement