Pluming To 55 Gal Tanks (Firefighting Equip) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pluming to 55 gal tanks (Firefighting equip)

Hello, I'm the new sob here. I'm trying to find plans/ideas of making a Fire Brigade...Wagon as it were, via connecting to 55 gal drums together. I spend alot of time in an RV park. There is no F/F equipment,the local F/F station is 8mi+ away. I've discussed the idea of mounting 2 drums on a utility trailer,(w/ mngmnt lol) pulled by a p/u. I'd like to try a rack holding the drums @ 45 angle. Sump pump in each drum is fine, but for use of 1 drum @ time How do I GET & maintain pressure ? and what of a F/F Nozzle ?
Some info online advices
NOT USING pressure/power washers. They lack the volume needed.

The goal being to maaaaybe control a fire (trailer/brush fire) until the
Pro Boys arrive.

1.Garden hose big enough ?...no !
2.Power source must be mobile,independant ?...Yes

Advertisement

Grayskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

lol,
What of a rack station that has 2 additional filled drums standing by ?
i.e. P/u backs into location empty drums (w/their rack) pulled of (4 man lift)
P/u backs up xft into rack holding 2 filled drums ?

Truck Model unknown @ time

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

I hope to use power from the truck battery. How much/for How LONG NO IDEA !!
What of using another F/F agent raather that H2o ?

I know WTF ? keep it simple !
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

There are 125 gallon tanks that will fit in the bed of a pickup or on a trailor, then a small stand by generator for power and pump ...
Putting out a fire is a combo between volume and pressure..

With the generator and pump it could be worked so that it both pulls from the tank for working the fire and to pull water from lake or stream from refilling the tank to continue fighting til the Fire Crew gets on site.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like you are willing to take on a lot of liability there, before the Pros arrive. Sometimes best left to the ones that know.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_in_IL View Post
Sounds like you are willing to take on a lot of liability there, before the Pros arrive. Sometimes best left to the ones that know.
I understand where the person is coming from, to many years in bush alaska where self is the first line of any kind of defense for help is either hours or often days away ..

I could have lost my house years ago when the dryer caught fire, I got it out side and put the fire out before the fire department showed up.. did not take them long, but still had I waited for them and not done some thing it could have been worse.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
I understand where the person is coming from, to many years in bush alaska where self is the first line of any kind of defense for help is either hours or often days away ..

I could have lost my house years ago when the dryer caught fire, I got it out side and put the fire out before the fire department showed up.. did not take them long, but still had I waited for them and not done some thing it could have been worse.
Protecting your own property is one thing, and understandable. However, as the OP is insinuating, the purpose would be a mobile unit for use in protecting several properties in an RV Park. That is assuming an extreme level of liability.
The OP can do what he wants, I am just pointing out what may not be so obvious.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

For the liability issue, I would just make it clear that the equipment is not guarantee to stop a blaze, and is just to attempt to control it, instead of watching it burn.

The issue I see though is having enough water onhand. You might actually want to look at some kind of CO2 system, like maybe a giant fire extinguisher type device. Maybe ask the fire dept to see if they are willing to help find you a good solution you can use prior to their arrival upon a fire. I'm sure they would be willing to give some tips.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

simple garden hose should be fine. maybe you can use a small air compressor to pressurize the drums. just don't make 'em burst.

And when TJ's drawers catch on fire... don't take on the "liability" and just let him burn...
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Water Treatment

Looks like having a fire extinguisher in my van so that if I am on the road and see a car or truck on fire I should not use it.....
Here again is some thing that I know some thing about, years ago came across a car on fire and a number of us stopped to help put it out, using fire extinguisher, water and any thing else that we had at hand... calling for the PRO's would have been hard ,,, A) no cell phones coverage where it was going on, B)would have been 1 hour min for them to get there.. we did save most of the car so that it could be rebuilt.. had we not done a thing and waited then there would have no rebuild.

So should we build some thing that could buy time and learn how to use what we put together from the pros to buy them that time???? or just do nothing and wait for the pros to show up?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
So should we build some thing that could buy time and learn how to use what we put together from the pros to buy them that time???? or just do nothing and wait for the pros to show up?
yes! and when someones breaking into your house, don't fight back, just call the police! don't buy a gun either, too much liability.

have no fear, the government will take care of you.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyboy For This Useful Post:
Grayskull (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

A gasoline powered pump is inexpensive and would give you the pressure and volume that you need.

Ganging several drums together should not be a big plumbing job,You need to be self sufficient---

All the liability worries---If someone wants to sue you for trying to save their property--Bah!
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Grayskull (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #13

OK, I see what this is turning into, so this will be the last I comment on the topic. After 15 years as a Firefighter, and countless years of training and schooling to get my Bachelors in Fire Science, I guess I just may know a thing or two about fire behavior and the inerrant dangers of trying to tackle a project as such. When a system is built as proposed, and something does not go as planned, and as people tend to rely on the "protection", what then? There are plenty of systems out there, such as portable fire pumps that can supply a sufficient level of PSI/GPM to control the spread of fire. I am not saying not to do it, just watch yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan
Here again is some thing that I know some thing about, years ago came across a car on fire and a number of us stopped to help put it out, using fire extinguisher, water and any thing else that we had at hand...
I hope you realize that could have been deadly. Not knowing what is burning could be catastrophic. Just ask the young firefighter from Wisconsin that lost his life when he put water on a burning magnesium fire.

All I am doing is expressing a bit of caution here. I am not telling you not to do it, just use caution, and think about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ_in_IL For This Useful Post:
Grayskull (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Approx 300g, fits in the back of a full size pickup
2" outlet
Hook a pump up to that & a hose
Power source - small generator ?
Any electric in the campground ?
Then use extension cord to pump

Years ago there was a fire behind our old neighborhood
Low burning but moving over a wide area
Fire Dept went in from the far side - woods... but hard to cover the entire area burning
By the time they got thru to our side they found all the neighbors with hoses & shovels out in the woods putting the fire out

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
Grayskull (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #15

I agree in part on the liability issue...namely because I don't want just tom/dick or harry firghting fires ect. However the Indiana Good Samaritan law is briefly ref in a NWI Times article. Inpart it reads ..............

The Times is doing a series of articles highlighting common laws and rules. Today, we examine Indiana's Good Samaritan law. To suggest a law for The Times to highlight, contact the writer.
Indiana law generally does not require people to be Good Samaritans, but it does protect those who help a fellow citizen in need.
The law states that a person who comes upon the scene of an emergency or accident and who "in good faith, gratuitously renders emergency care ... is immune from civil liability for any personal injury that results ... ."

"If the actions of a Good Samaritan are reasonable under the circumstances, this statute would protect them from civil liability."
The protection stands unless the Good Samaritan's actions amount to "gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct," the law states.

Advertisement