Plumbing A Washing Machine Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumbing a Washing Machine Drain

Guys & Gals,

My laundry room is in my basement and currently the discharge hose just dumps into the sanitary tub/sink. I'd like to change this and create a separate drain pipe for the washing machine. Its all PVC plumbing, with a 2 inch drain line right next to the washing machine which the sink currently connects to. Can I just cut that drain line, insert a T and run my plumbing for the washing machine? Seems very simple and easy to do, am I missing something? I've attached a crude drawing to show what I'm talking about. The left side of the drawing is what currently exists. The right side is what I'm looking to create.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Laundry room plumbing3.bmp (84.0 KB, 5255 views)

Advertisement

MikeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

What you have is the right idea. I'm not sure of the exact minimum dimensions needed but I think it is a minimum of 2 inch diameter line for the entire washing machine drain assembly and the vertical end up to where the hose connects in has to be at least 18 inches above where the assembly tees into the main drain.

You may not splice more hose onto what came with the washing machine to reach the mouth of the drain pipe or to reach anything else, unless the washing machine instructions specifically permit that.

The hose must fit loosely into the drain pipe.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Allan. Maybe it is as simple as it seems. I've got the 2" drain, and plenty of space to meet the length/height requirements, so it sounds like this is a quick fix.
MikeWood is offline   Reply With Quote