Plumbing A Washer/dryer Combo Into Kitchen Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Plumbing a washer/dryer combo into kitchen sink

I ordered an LG washer/dryer combination unit, it''ll be here in a few days. At this time I am trying to plan out how to install it. I downloaded the manual and found some interesting things. When I bought this unit it was promoted as being able to be installed anywhere, no vent necessary, hookup to your kitchen sink, connects like a dishwasher, etc. Now that I look at the manual, I see that it only shows how to connect to conventional washer hookups, not under the sink splicing.
Below I've attached the instruction pages for both the water supplies and the drainage. My concerns are if I will be able to connect the water supply and drainage under my sink. FWIW, I already have the cold water tapped for filtered water, the hot water tapped for the dishwasher, and the drainage tapped for the dishwasher. I have also attached a picture of the plumbing under my sink. Notice the 3/8" taps that I used, I assume the LG will have a much larger hose and require larger taps under the sink, correct?

So will I be able to make this work without big plumbing upgrades? One other issue I might have is the placement of the washer/dryer might require me to extend the supply and drainage line a couple feet, but LG specifically says to only use their lines. Can I work around this?
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing a washer/dryer combo into kitchen sink-lg-wm3987hw-back.jpg   Plumbing a washer/dryer combo into kitchen sink-img_0490.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Where will this unit be located in comparison to the sink? Water supply can be Tee'd into the 1/2" copper lines to provide water supply. Drainage may be a challenge but there looks to be enough room in the tailpiece to put a Wye into it to accommodate the washer drain line. Unsure if this is "legal" and whether the 1 1/2" drain is large enough for a washer discharge. Someone will know.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Where will this unit be located in comparison to the sink?
The washer/dryer will be located 3+ feet to the left of the sink. Currently the dishwasher is next to the sink and then there is a 1 foot wide cabinet. The washer/dryer will be next to that cabinet.

Quote:
Water supply can be Tee'd into the 1/2" copper lines to provide water supply.
There isn't a way to do this with the current setup? I would have to have real plumbing done (as far as soldering new copper in there)?

Quote:
Drainage may be a challenge but there looks to be enough room in the tailpiece to put a Wye into it to accommodate the washer drain line. Unsure if this is "legal" and whether the 1 1/2" drain is large enough for a washer discharge. Someone will know.
I see. It's a shame that they promote this is an easy hookup if it's true that it's not legal
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Picky Plumber

Maybe one of the other pros might have different advise but, I know what my code book says. An 1 1/2" trap assembly under a kitchen sink is not the 2'' minimum trap size that code requires and also, at the base of the vent, where pipe would go horizontal, drain should be 3''.
As to whether it could be done... I suppose... but, I would heavily advise against it.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
SDC

Here is a link to an older thread on this topic.

Combination washer and dryer

As for hook-up, you keep saying "real plumbing" like it is possible to hook up any plumbing without putting in new lines? Big box stores sell "shark bites" they can help the DIYer with plumbing connections. Don't forget you will need a GFCI installed in the space as well.

http://www.sharkbite.com/

They are easy to install but you will need to do some plumbing. I am sure it states in the instruction book to get a qualified, licensed plumber and electrician, and follow local code...etc.

If you are in a condo or similar situation, be careful, as you would be responsible for all damages done to the building or peoples property below you if a leak happens because of your install.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
As for hook-up, you keep saying "real plumbing" like it is possible to hook up any plumbing without putting in new lines?
Honestly, I thought I would be able to install those little 3/8" T-taps like I did for the dishwasher. That's pretty much how these combo units were being promoted. I didn't know that I would need a pair of hose bibb type fittings installed as well as a completely new 2" drain standpipe with venting.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

I would like to know where you have the dishwasher drain hooked up? I don't see it in your picture.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I would like to know where you have the dishwasher drain hooked up? I don't see it in your picture.
It's a black hose that connects about 4" under the drain. It enters the pipe on the opposite side than the picture was taken.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Picky Plumber

not to be picky but I don't see an air gap on the dishwasher drain either.... oh well.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
not to be picky but I don't see an air gap on the dishwasher drain either.... oh well.
I just looked up what an air gap is. I have to say, in all my years and in thousands of houses, I have never seen this air gap thing on someone's sink. Maybe it's not required in my state? Who knows...
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Picky Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaBar View Post
I just looked up what an air gap is. I have to say, in all my years and in thousands of houses, I have never seen this air gap thing on someone's sink. Maybe it's not required in my state? Who knows...

You don't actually have to use the airgap fitting that mounts on the sink (THAT'S just ugly) But, it's always a good idea to loop the drain up as high as possible in the cabinet to prevent backed up water from a clogged sink drain to get into dishwasher.

Advertisement