Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |

Plumbing Vents question

Not a code question so much as practicality and function, but since my house is a log house, there are no avenues to have vents go straight up from fixtures without having exposed pipes. All of the fixtures abut the exterior wall. Plumbing is currently not vented at all and I'm re-doing it (quickly). Could I (should I) strap a vent header to the bottom of the joists in the crawlspace, keep the drain just below it, and do all my venting from the crawlspace with only one line going up to the roof vent?

Loop vents in kitchen counter and bathroom vanity?

Thanks in advance.

lynxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Plumbing Vents question

I feel your pain as I also have a log house (the wife and I built it by ourselves). In our case, the downstairs bathroom is directly below the one upstairs, and the laundry room is next to it, so the vents are in the partition walls. They all tie into the main stack in a small attic area so we have just one roof penetration. The only exception is the kitchen sink, which has an AAV (they are legal here). Do you not have interior walls you can run the vents in? Another option would be to tastefully box in any exposed vent lines.

Your vent header idea is not code compliant and would not work. Any horizontal run of a vent must be higher than the flood level of the fixture it's venting.

Have you considered AAVs??

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Plumbing Vents question

I'll look into the AAV. Are they generally reliable?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
JOATMON

Plumbing Vents question

Seeing that it's a log cabin.....I sort of dought your having any thing inspected.

The key is that you want it done right.

Based on what I have read here....AAV's are a solution....better than just an open pipe.....unless you like the smell of sewer gases...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

Plumbing Vents question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxpilot View Post
I'll look into the AAV. Are they generally reliable?
Being a mechanical device, they are of course subject to failure. But I've never had one go bad. Plus, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Plumbing Vents question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Seeing that it's a log cabin.....I sort of dought your having any thing inspected.
A common misconception. My log home required a permit and all the inspections of any other house. It is appraised at $275K. Definitely not a "cabin."
Old 09-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Plumbing Vents question

It's a small log house (my residence). We don't have 'code' in this county. It's a sparsely populated county out in the sticks, so they can't afford things like inspector salaries.

In any event, I want it done right. The site here sure has been a wealth of info too and I appreciate the responses.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #8

Plumbing Vents question

What is "right" varies with who you talk to. Even professional plumbers disagree on the use of AAVs - some like them, some hate them. If I were you, they are what I'd use.