Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing - Venting Bathroom - Please HELP

We are reconfiguring our bathroom. We have a 1.5" vertical vent to the roof from the vanity/bathroom sink. The tub is right next to it, so that will be vented to this 1.5" pipe as well. No worries there. The question is on the shower and toilet.

1)Can the shower (2" drain) be dry vented to the 1.5" vertical vent pipe? The shower drain vent is across 2 walls, about 3' then 90 degree turn, running about 7', then 90 degree turn, running about 4' to the 1.5" vertical vent. Total of about 14'

2)Can the toilet be vented to the 1.5" vertical vent pipe? The issue is the toilet drain (3") is 5' then 90 degree turn, running another 4.5' to the wye stack, total of 9.5' from toilet drain to wye stack (4"). Since this distance is more than 5', can we go in the other direction, venting this to the 1.5" vertical vent that everything else in the bathroom is vented to? This distance is about 3' from toilet to 1.5" vertical vent pipe.

Thank you!

garysacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

I'll give you answers per my code(UPC)

1. A shower requires a 1.5" vent. I don't follow your described routing tho.
The shower, lav, and tub can all fit on a 1.5" vent too, but the horizontal portion is limited in length.

2.W.C. requires a 2" vent. At the point where you connect to the 1.5" vent stack (42" above floor), increase to 2" through the roof

Hope this helps

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. One quick clarification: I understand the W.C. needs a 2" vent. Are you saying I have to remove the 1.5" vent that goes 2 floors up, to the roof, and replace it with a 2" vent? Or can I use a 2" vent from the W.C., connecting it to the 1.5" vent with an adaptor?
garysacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysacco View Post
Thank you for your response. One quick clarification: I understand the W.C. needs a 2" vent. Are you saying I have to remove the 1.5" vent that goes 2 floors up, to the roof, and replace it with a 2" vent? Or can I use a 2" vent from the W.C., connecting it to the 1.5" vent with an adaptor?
A toilet requires a 2" vent. You cannot legally decrease a vent size. So it must be a minimum 2" through the roof. Would it work on 1.5? prolly, but the inspector won;t like it.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

Do you know what the applicable plumbing code is for where you live? The UPC and IRC approach venting in very different ways. For example, under the IRC no vent at all is required for a toilet. Also, air admittance valves are permitted under the IRC but not the UPC. My house is plumbed per the IRC (did it myself) and everything passed inspection and works just fine.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote