Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #1

Share |

plumbing supply line

I own a small acreage without a house and I want to set up a water supply line. The municipality has installed the meter. I am not sure of the diameter of the main pipe, but I will check soon. I want to run a line about 50 - 100 feet and set up a tap to use with a garden hose. Eventually I will build a house and need to have a supply line into the house. What are the basic supplies that I need to do this and about how much time will this take. I would appreciate any suggestions on recommended pipe and fittings. I am a novice but I have done some simple plumbing before. I am thinking of renting a ditch witch to dig the trench, any suggestions for the depth of the trench. I am in Central Texas with mild winters that can have some freezing.

Last edited by mitramarket; 08-27-2011 at 04:22 AM.
mitramarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

plumbing supply line

Put it below the frost line, Run 1" line. run it past where your house will be. when you build your house you can bring it inside to hook up your water and cut off the excess. Most cities won't let you have underground joints unless you silver solder them.

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Too Old

plumbing supply line

Ask if they will allow 1" PVC? If you run copper that is going to cost a lot of money and you will need to wrap the pipe good to prevent corrosion. Most all main lines installed by utility companies for the last 20 years use Hdpe, polyethylene pipe or something similar. They should not have any issue running pvc pipe, they may require a sleeve if you are going near a septic system.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

plumbing supply line

Sometimes you can use the depth of the meter as a guide for how deep you should go. There are many things to consider when you are installing the first pipe in the ground... such as, is it deep enough to not be in the way during future installations of gas, power, sewer/septic etc... Id go with the previous response and use 1" PVC and consider it a temporary run. Call your local code enforcement people and ask what are the requirements for your situation. You may get lucky and your local code will allow PVC. In that case go as deep as the ditch witch will allow starting with a gradual down slope from the meter. The deeper it is.... the less likely it is to get hit during future construction.

Be sure to map it out so youll know where it is underground.

My 2cents
Einzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

plumbing supply line

i'm not sure of the exact codes here, but i live in san antonio and i have a 1" PVC schedule 40 main water line about 12 inches deep. my house is 18 years old and i have never had any problems. i'm pretty sure almost all the houses around here have pvc main water lines.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote