Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumbing Solutions for powder

I need a valve (preferably solenoid) that will work with a powder (like sugar or Kool aid).

If not a valve at least a dispenser for powders (preferably electrical).

blackbrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

although they may exist (if they do, someone here will know), i've never seen anything in a valve like that.
you might look in to an auger type system (like the instant cappuccino machines at convenient stores). Sometimes they sell for pennies on the dollar at on-line surplus auction sites like www.govdeals.com
or www.pciauctions.com

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrawler View Post
I need a valve (preferably solenoid) that will work with a powder (like sugar or Kool aid).

If not a valve at least a dispenser for powders (preferably electrical).

http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/11..._Industry.html
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
although they may exist (if they do, someone here will know), i've never seen anything in a valve like that.
you might look in to an auger type system (like the instant cappuccino machines at convenient stores). Sometimes they sell for pennies on the dollar at on-line surplus auction sites like www.govdeals.com
or www.pciauctions.com
That sounds like a good idea but can you be more specific as to what I would be looking for in these products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
That valve is for gas, for a second I thought it was what I was looking for but on the site it says the media for the valve is air.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrawler View Post
That sounds like a good idea but can you be more specific as to what I would be looking for in these products?
stop in a convenience store or quick mart, 7-eleven. Just about every one i've ever been in --has one. They usually have two or three flavors, one cappuccino, a french vanilla, and maybe a low cal of some kind or hot chocolate. You hold your cup under them and push the button. These are all a powdered mix, mixed with hot water at the machine. Tell them why you need to see it and ask the clerk to open the front of the machine where they fill up the powdered mix in the canisters. You'll see what i'm referring to. You didn't say why you wanted it or what you're using it for, but it sounds like the type of machine you might want.

they look like this
http://www.dccoffeeproducts.com/cappuccinomachines.html
I've seen them sell at restaurant closing auctions for less than 100 bucks..

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-06-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,948

I installed many sugar valves while working as a millwright---Most are air actuated---others used electric solenoids-

They are out there ---but I never was involved with the purchase or engineering---
DangerMouse (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
stop in a convenience store or quick mart, 7-eleven. Just about every one i've ever been in --has one. They usually have two or three flavors, one cappuccino, a french vanilla, and maybe a low cal of some kind or hot chocolate. You hold your cup under them and push the button. These are all a powdered mix, mixed with hot water at the machine. Tell them why you need to see it and ask the clerk to open the front of the machine where they fill up the powdered mix in the canisters. You'll see what i'm referring to.
I know what your talking about i used to treat myself to the french vanilla iced coffee after practices. I dont think the clerk/manager at my store would do that for me. Also i feel like these machines just make one batch, meaning they let out all the powder into the water at once and then just refridgerate. So the valve would just have to open and let out all the powder and then shut without any resistance.

Quote:
You didn't say why you wanted it or what you're using it for, but it sounds like the type of machine you might want.

they look like this
http://www.dccoffeeproducts.com/cappuccinomachines.html
I've seen them sell at restaurant closing auctions for less than 100 bucks..
Ok, so i'll try to find the types of valves they use in these cappacino machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I installed many sugar valves while working as a millwright---Most are air actuated---others used electric solenoids-

They are out there ---but I never was involved with the purchase or engineering---
Yeah i have come across some industrial suppliers but i figured these would either be really expensive assuming that they would even sell them individually.

I would consider valves that weren't necessarily made for solids but maybe could work with them.
What do you guys think of a stainless steel gate valve?

Also if i use a valve that isn't solenoid is there anyway to automate it?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
DIY staff

Contact a vending machine company--small ones are used to dispense fake cream and chocolate powders --they might have a supplier or even some junked machines---

How big of a valve do you need? one that dispenses a spoon full? a cup? or a bushel?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

They have a "colored/flavored sugar" dispensing machine at the mall that fills a plastic tube with different flavors/colors of sugar for kids to get their hyperfix with. (think fat, plastic "pixie sticks") They make them, so you can surely buy them somewhere.

DM
Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Contact a vending machine company--small ones are used to dispense fake cream and chocolate powders --they might have a supplier or even some junked machines---

How big of a valve do you need? one that dispenses a spoon full? a cup? or a bushel?
a cup i guess definetly not a bushel (do people actually use that for measurement?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
They have a "colored/flavored sugar" dispensing machine at the mall that fills a plastic tube with different flavors/colors of sugar for kids to get their hyperfix with. (think fat, plastic "pixie sticks") They make them, so you can surely buy them somewhere.

DM
That sounds like it would have what i need and probably not to expensive either. you wouldn't happen to know the exact name of this dispenser would you.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not right off hand, no. It's 20 miles away too, sooooo..... what exactly are you wanting to dispense?

DM
Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
DIY staff

I installed valves for flavoring--little ones--all the way up to 4" valves for dispensing hundreds of pounds of sugar.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #13

So i found one on grainger the only issue is how to automate it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

It is a valve by a company by the name of Valterra and is for "liquids, gases, dry/bulk solids, and slurry". I think the version with the stainless steel wedge is a better choice but is more expensive.

I need this to work with a float switch some how.

Edit: I contacted the manufacturer and they have an electric one to. Now I am wondering, does it really matter if you use sugar with a normal gate valve? Whats the worst that can happen?

Last edited by blackbrawler; 07-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.