Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

Share |

Plumbing for shower and steam generator

I am redoing my master bath to include a steam shower. I have come up with the plumbing setup in these pictures to accomodate the shower drain, as well as the drain from the steam generator. I was hoping that I could get some opinions on it before I open the cement. Does this setup look okay, and if not, what should be changed? I am in Colorado.

Plumbing for shower and steam generator-plumbing_v4-1.jpg

This is the drain for the shower, 2" ABS. Even though the picture doesn't show it very well, there is a good slope from the trap down to the drain pipe exiting into the floor.

Plumbing for shower and steam generator-plumbing_v4-2.jpg

Rotating around counterclockwise, this is a view where the line rises into the wall, branches off for the steam generator line and p-trap in the background. You are looking through a hole into my closet where the steam generator will be located. The pipe sticking up in the foreground will be the vent, which will 90 left through the stud (after I reroute the copper line) and then 90 up to join the existing vent that you can see near the top left of the picture.

Plumbing for shower and steam generator-plumbing_v4-3.jpg

This is a shot from inside the closet. The steam generator will be elevated more so there is sufficient slope down to the 1 1/2" drain pipe. Room is tight in here so I crammed everything together. There will be two 1/2" copper lines running to this drain, one from the auto-flush line, and the other from the drain pan line that you can see at the end of the pan. The copper will hover slightly above the abs pipe. I also installed a cleanout just above the wye for the steam drain.

Any and all help or criticism is appreciated. Thanks. -Leland

Smitny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitny22 View Post
Does this setup look okay, and if not, what should be changed?

This is the drain for the shower, 2" ABS. Even though the picture doesn't show it very well, there is a good slope from the trap down to the drain pipe exiting into the floor.

Any and all help or criticism is appreciated.
I bet if you thought about it some...
you could get even more fittings into that shower trap set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing for shower and steam generator-lelandtrap.jpg  

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
call me E

The vent should be above the center line of the trap arm for the shower drain.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

The vent should be above the center line of the trap arm for the shower drain. Today 07:42 PM

Yes, there will definitely be a more positive slope from the drain up to where it makes the rise through the footer at the wall. I assume that's what you mean, right? I got in a hurry to take the picture before I added the support for that end. Thanks for the help. Anything else?

Last edited by Smitny22; 02-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The vent should be above the center line of the trap arm for the shower drain.
I am not a plumber but where is the vent for the shower?
M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Engineer View Post
I am not a plumber but where is the vent for the shower?
Reference picture number 2 above, it is the pipe that extends from right to left and then up through the wall. It is not yet connected to the existing vent pipe because I have to pass it through the stud and there is currently a copper line in the way.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Reference picture number 2 above, it is the pipe that extends from right to left and then up through the wall. It is not yet connected to the existing vent pipe because I have to pass it through the stud and there is currently a copper line in the way.
Sorry. I thought that was a drain for other fixtures.
M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
call me E

Quote:
The vent should be above the center line of the trap arm for the shower drain. Today 07:42 PM

Yes, there will definitely be a more positive slope from the drain up to where it makes the rise through the footer at the wall. I assume that's what you mean, right? I got in a hurry to take the picture before I added the support for that end. Thanks for the help. Anything else?
No, thats not what I meant, you shouldn't have the vent horizontal to begin with, and if you do it it should come of the branch of the wye so it can be rolled above the center line of the drain.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
No, thats not what I meant, you shouldn't have the vent horizontal to begin with, and if you do it it should come of the branch of the wye so it can be rolled above the center line of the drain.
Okay, I get what you're saying now. The person who proposed this particular setup had said that it was wet venting. And another person was the one who suggested all the extra fittings to make the 180 turn less convoluted. Can't win sometimes.

I am going to try one more configuration on this making sure to roll the wye and use the branch like you suggested. Now that I have drilled the extra hole in the footer, I will just vent each drain separately. I will try to get another picture up tonight before I go out of town. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
call me E

How hot is the condensate from the steam generator?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
How hot is the condensate from the steam generator?
The auto-flush valve waits at least two hours after each steam for the water to cool and then opens to empty the tank. The worst case scenario mentioned by the rep at Mr. Steam is for a power outage during steam production which could then dump water at temps at or above boiling into the drain line. I'm guessing in that scenario I wouldn't necessarily want to have a wet vent, huh?