DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plumbing in the shower head

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  obeans 
#1 ·
I am installing a tiled shower with a rain shower head. I have a Moen pressure/temperature balancing valve with pex fitting, which has two outlets. One for a tub and one for the shower. Since I do not need the tub outlet can I join the two outlets to go to the shower head rather then capping the tub outlet? I notice the the outlet for the shower head is a smaller diameter then the tub and I want to make sure I have enough water going to the shower so that is does not dribble out. I would be going up to the shower with 1/2 pex pipe and it is 1/2 pex pipe going into the valve on the hot and cold. We live in the country so we use a pressure tank.So the question is: can I join the two outlets to go to the shower without something going wrong?

#2 ·
Definitely NOT. That valve requires back pressure from the tub spout being closed to force the water to the sh0wer head, so if you have both going to the SH, the tub spout of course can not ever send water to the top side (shower head side) of the valve. You will gain nothing, but a little more added expense at best. One thing I have 'heard' of people doing, though I am quite sure not legal in many areas of the country, is to remove the water flow restrictor (often a little plastic piece in the shower head just under the screen) to allow a heavier flow. I have heard that people that do do this must also make sure that all pieces of the restrictor are removed or shaken from the shower head to ensure that the water is not still restricted by debris. Sometimes, this would also require a slightly thicker washer if the restrictor is attached to one of the washers, though, I would really not know as I would never try to circumvent the government from trying to legislate how i TAKE MY SHOWER. If not for them I might drive 200mph, never wear a seat belt or helmet and stand on the top rung of a ladder!:whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.