Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumbing and septic question

Had my drainfield replaced about three years ago during a weekend. I have water backing up in the house. One estimate said it was drainfield failure. And the other just a clogged drain. The water in my tank is lower than the pipe coming out of the house. Thru the access hole I see the water level lower than the lid. My question is, If it is the drainfield, Wouldn't the water level in the tank bethe same as the water level in the house. I mean water would be coming out of the access hole right?

Bubi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

Yes, I believe that you are on the right track; without being there, anything is possible, but it sounds like a clogged drain. And, soil conditions vary greatly, but drainfields typically last much longer than 3 years. If you are going to tackle it yourself, I would start with the cleanout in the line heading toward the tank, and work my way back as far as necessary. Have some 5 gallon buckets handy when you remove the cleanout cap(s). Do you have a lot of leaves falling on your roof, which could have possibly plugged your vent(s). If you are going to call someone, I suggest a local plumbing company.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,024

Almost all the time the level of water (excluding foam) in a septic tank should be around 9 inches below the top of the tank. If you still have backup problems in the house then the inlet is clogged somewhere going back to the house. You need to be able to inspect just inside the tank where the inlet dumps in. There should be a baffle or elbow here so the incoming water tends to go down rather than across the tank. Sometimes solid matter can accumulate here and cause a clog.

If the septic tank is absolutely full and overflowing much of the time then you have a problem downstream (drain field failure or outlet pipe clogged).