Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing run confusion

I have a new hot and cold water run going to a 2-piece washroom. The location is VERY tricky, and I wanted some suggestions on what to do. Here are some photos:

This is the view up - the two downward pipes are the hot water heater
pipes. The pipe in the span above the main runs is just my pipe I placed in there.

This view shows how little room there is in there looking straight up!!!

And here is the view from another angle.

Basically, the outbound run is in an ~6" wide space in between the floor joists. Can't use a joist space to the left due to stairs. Can't do the right due to hvac duct work. I can't even run along a way due to the cold air return that the water lines parallel.

Thoughts??? How big of a no-no is it to tie into those hot water heater runs shown in the first pic?

joeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #2

Plumbing run confusion

Are you trying to find a location to tie into? Any spot in the picture should work for a small bathroom- assuming the existing branches are not overtaxed allready

Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Plumbing run confusion

Yes, just trying to figure out the best location. AKA one that will be easiest for me to work in - that area at the top is just so tight space wise...

Other than the stop to the hot water heater, the final run only feeds the kitchen, so I wouldn't consider it overly taxed. It's a 2 bathroom house prior to this 2-piece.

Most of me just wants to go straight up from the bottom of the "L" shape in the first picture... it just that it seems wrong!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #4

Plumbing run confusion

Like E-plumber anywhere would be fine...just do not get too close to that radius at the "bottom of the L shape".

That aside...and with all due respect....you have a mess there.
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing run confusion-img_20121115_144620large.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #5

Plumbing run confusion

Thanks to both for the replies. First, I ran down to the base of the "L", and that worked perfectly. Enough room to work, which was the huge worry up above.

Second, YES, that is a huge mess!!! It just so happens that the furnace / water heater room is a 5 foot wide room in the center of the basement. 2.5 feet is taken up by the stairs, and then the ductwork takes up 2 more feet. So the electrician 60 years ago (and whoever worked on the house since then) and the plumber and the cable guy decided to run everything in that 6 remaining inches! Unfortunately, it is what it is...