Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Plumbing Rough-in Question

I am on the project of finishing my basement. The plan is to put 2" extruded polystyrene foam panel (R-10, by code in VA) around the concrete wall then the wall frame (2x4).

In planning the basement layout, I ran to the plumbing rough-in pipes that the builder put in (see attached pictures). I notice that there is not much room they have from the concrete wall and ponder how much room do I need to put a toilet and a bath tub.

Picture 1: a picture of both toilet and bath tub rough-in pipes
Picture 2: the distance between the concrete wall to the toilet rough-in pipe is 21". After the insulation and frame (6 "), I would only have 15" from the frame to the pipe)
Picture 3: the distance between the concrete wall to the bath tub rough-in pipe is 8".After the insulation and frame (6 "), I would only have 2" from the frame to the pipe)

Can any one give me advice how much space I need to put a toilet and a bath tub from the wall (frame)?

If I don't have enough space, what option do I have?
I could use 2x3 frames but that only give me additional 1" clearance.

Thanks,
Nick

Picture 1:
Name:  roughinpipes.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  28.8 KB

Picture 2:
Name:  Toiletroughin.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  28.1 KB

Picture 3:
Name:  bathtubroughin.jpeg
Views: 196
Size:  31.9 KB

325_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
call me E

One rule to follow when plumbing is to measure to the center of pipes- not the edge. So, looking at you're tape in the pictures, the rough in appears pretty much correct. If you put your wall over the smaller pipe you should end up close to 12.5" to the center of the toilet riser. You will loose a little floor space though.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
One rule to follow when plumbing is to measure to the center of pipes- not the edge. So, looking at you're tape in the pictures, the rough in appears pretty much correct. If you put your wall over the smaller pipe you should end up close to 12.5" to the center of the toilet riser. You will loose a little floor space though.
Sorry, just want to confirm, is the bathtub rough-in pipe in a correct distance as well? How much space is required for the bathtub?

Thanks again,
Nick
325_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Plumber & Gasfitter

Toilet should be 12" to center off the finished (with drywall) wall, and tub should be roughly 3" or 7" to center off the wood frame depending on whether or not you are doing a direct or indirect tub drain connection.
joeplumber85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_man View Post
Sorry, just want to confirm, is the bathtub rough-in pipe in a correct distance as well? How much space is required for the bathtub?

Thanks again,
Nick
I've seen a few pictures here showing tub rough-in's like yours- I still find them odd- it's not how we do them. We install a "tub box" in the slab which allows room for the tub shoe and trap below the slab. That pipe would be tub vent in the wall and the box would be located as joeplumber85 stated.