Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing question (septic tank)

Hello just found the site,looks great. I have a 40 year old home and the septic tank has been fine untill earlier this year.I have checked back threw your old posts to find out more about the baffles on the tank. My tank is filling above the exiting baffle and will not go into the latteral field. How would I go about seeing if the baffle is clogged? and how can I go about cleaning it?I don't have any standing water in my field so it leads me to beleive it could be clogged. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance. Chuck

Chuck a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
DIY staff

I gussied up the title for you and moved this to plumbing---Some one will help---Mike--Moderator-

Chuck a (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck a View Post
Hello just found the site,looks great. I have a 40 year old home and the septic tank has been fine untill earlier this year.I have checked back threw your old posts to find out more about the baffles on the tank. My tank is filling above the exiting baffle and will not go into the latteral field. How would I go about seeing if the baffle is clogged? and how can I go about cleaning it?I don't have any standing water in my field so it leads me to beleive it could be clogged. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance. Chuck
Ayuh,... Find the Distribution box, dig it up....
If there's no standin' water there, Back-flush to the tank,...
that should dislodge any blockage...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Chuck a (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck a View Post
My tank is filling above the exiting baffle and will not go into the latteral field.
From reading this, I assume that you have removed the septic tank cover. Correct?

Can you see the level of the tank rising?

When was the last time that you had the tank pumped?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Chuck a (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Find the Distribution box, dig it up....
If there's no standin' water there, Back-flush to the tank,...
that should dislodge any blockage...
Would the distribution box be next to the baffle or could it be several feet from the septic tank? if I find the box is there a cover to it simular to the septic tank itself? Thanks Chuck
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
From reading this, I assume that you have removed the septic tank cover. Correct?

Can you see the level of the tank rising?

When was the last time that you had the tank pumped?
Yes I've uncovered the tank...twice now lol.and hating to do it again , but the last time before I even put the dirt back on it ,it was actually coming up threw the top of the tank. Not knowing now that it was backed up I should have never covered it up.I've pumped the tank twice now the last time I took a pressure washer and sprayed around were the exit baffle was thinking it was possibly just debrie at the hole itself.....didn't work.Thank you guy's for your input, I see why I didn't decide plumbing was a career choice. Chuck
Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #7

The distribution box that Bondo referred to, if you have one, would be downstream of the septic tank. In other words, your waste line runs from the house, to the septic tank, then to a second septic tank if you have one, then to the distribution box, from where the individual tiles run to the field. Sometimes, in lieu of a distribution box, the line from the tank serves as a header, from which individual lines are simply T'd into the field. Either way, it may be worth backflushing from the box or the header line to the tank, but it is probably just as likely that your field has failed. Your best bet at this time may be to contact your local septic company, as they quite likely can provide you with an educated guess, based on their knowledge of local soil conditions, etc.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Chuck a (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
The distribution box that Bondo referred to, if you have one, would be downstream of the septic tank. In other words, your waste line runs from the house, to the septic tank, then to a second septic tank if you have one, then to the distribution box, from where the individual tiles run to the field. Sometimes, in lieu of a distribution box, the line from the tank serves as a header, from which individual lines are simply T'd into the field. Either way, it may be worth backflushing from the box or the header line to the tank, but it is probably just as likely that your field has failed. Your best bet at this time may be to contact your local septic company, as they quite likely can provide you with an educated guess, based on their knowledge of local soil conditions, etc.
Thank you I will try to locate the distribution box,I'm hoping my field has not failed at this point.Money's tight and I don't need a bill this close to xmas.Thanks again for all the help,if anyone has any more suggestions please pass them on, need all the help I can get. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Chuck