Plumbing Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

plumbing question

I have a problem... hoping one of you do-it-yourselfers out there can help me out. I need to replace the knob to my shower faucet as the handle has broken. I've tried looking for replacement faucet handles at the Home Depot, but the female end of the knob does not fit the male end that sticks out of my shower wall:

As you can see, the cross section of the male end is square.

Among the knobs I've seen available, the cross section of the female end is a near-circle, i.e. it has two flattened sides so that it can grip onto the appropriate male end and turn the faucet. I guess you can describe the cross section as being in the shape of a barrel.

Does anyone know if they sell adapters for this sort of thing? Or do I just have the wrong type of faucet handle? My original faucet set was Sterling, but they have discontinued that line.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!


dcden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

If you know the manufacturer and or model number of the shower system or valve, it would be much easier to determin...

That or try matching up what it used to look like via online plumbing stores and just buy the mixing valve trim.


PSZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,994
Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't recognize that valve, sorry but I have no clue right now, best bet would to take stem with you to home depot and see it that helps.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
electric & plumbing contr
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 10

If all else fails, you may be able to use one of the "universal" replacement knobs. They are available at most supply houses and have a collar and set screw that will fit most stems. That valve of yours is unfamiliar to me and I can't quite make out the diameter of the shaft.
Atricaudatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM
Sleeve options for plumbing through concrete? Bruce L Plumbing 6 06-14-2008 09:38 AM
Shower Plumbing Ron Plumbing 1 08-15-2007 11:38 AM
plumbing stack question vinman Plumbing 2 08-03-2006 06:02 PM
new plumbing in kitchen What have I done Plumbing 1 07-29-2006 11:14 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1