Plumbing And Other To Detached Garage - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
Restoration professional

Rewards Points: 260

Plumbing and other to detached garage

What is required and advised when digging trenches in Tulsa, OK to run utilities to a detached garage? Garage is 41 ft away, uphill of the house. I'd like to run a drain, hot water, cold water, AC, gas, and low voltage. Purpose: workshop, wash brushes, wash hands, pee in the sink, 120v for tools, gas heater to raise an uninsulated garage 20 degrees, cat-6 and alarm wire. Since I live here, what do I not need inspected? I've run pex, black pipe and romex before on the main house. Depth? Side-to-side separation? Etc.

Advertisement

halliwellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,454

If your in an area with an inspection authority then electrical, plumbing, heating and gas well need inspections test and permits. You need to keep your ditch 6 inches to a foot below the frost level for your area. I would suggest you contact your local code authority. Usually electrical buried needs to be protected by it's own pipe.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-06-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,646

Whole can of worms, on this one.
Zoning, health dept. building dept.
All needing permits.
What do you plan on doing out there?
Reason I ask is with gas heat it's going to be an open flame.
Something as simple as spray painting or or spraying WD 40 with a gas heater and you will instantly get a headache from hell and stink up the whole place, been there done that.
Biggest mistake when I see people running the electrical lines out to an out building is undersizing the wiring and not running 220 volt and installing a subpanel.
Run it to small and your going to have to go back and do it all over again when you find out it's under sized.
Going to at least need one line for 20 Amp. GFI protected outlets.
One 15 amp for lights.
Another for garage door openers.
I always run 20 amp. outlets near windows for A/C units.
At some point you may you may want to add a welder, lift, better wood working tools that use 220 volts.
Just running the power for 110 volts is going to limit you.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Restoration professional

Car is a 100-year-old 2-car garage. Sash window restoration. One sodium vapor light on back of garage, one 1100w infrared heater for paint, one 1000w drying box, trim router, hand sander, etc; overhead lights, microwave, 150w ultrasonic cleaner, radio. 220v, OK. No garage door opener. Exhaust fan. Window unit air conditioner. Gas heat.

Average frost level for Tulsa is between the lines for 10 and 15 inches. Does that mean 12.5 + 6 inches is OK, or is 21 inches needed?

Plan is: For water, run a 2 inch PVC pipe for DWV, direct bury hot and cold half-inch unbroken Pex pipe, 1 inch gray PVC conduit for low voltage, 1 inch gray PVC conduit with 8/3 romex, half-inch PE gas pipe with risers.

Minimum number of trenches, and how far apart?

Yes, I'll get all necessary permits.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Restoration professional

But I'll have a free trencher shortly, so just in preparation: which utilities can share a trench, so how man trenches are needed? And how separated do they need to be? One for electric in conduit, one for water and gas and dwv and low voltage?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,454

The ones that inspect will have your answers. Ohio code does not apply to your area.

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote