Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing a non-traditional vanity

I am adding a bathroom to the second floor. The walls are still open so I can have the opening to the drain in the wall at any height I want it.

Today I found a wrought iron and marble table/center island that I would love to use as my vanity. It is 35'5" high with a marble slab as the top. I am tall so that is good.

My problem lies with the middle (fixed) marble shelf. The space between the top and middle shelves is 12". Since this piece is already at the maximum height, I do not want to use a vessel sink, which would make it even higher. So I need to put in a drop in sink.

The drop in sinks I have found are 6" - 7" deep. This leaves 6" - 5" to fit a P trap in without cutting into the marble of the middle shelf.

Since I can adjust the height of the opening to the drain line to accommodate a slope that is up to code, my question is --- can I fit a P trap into a space that is only 5" - 6" deep?

[I am trying to explain things as well as I can, but I am a total novice at this. Thank you for trying to interpret what I am attempting to describe.]

PMahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

I don't think so---The pop up drain itself needs 3 1/2 to 4 inches--
add the P-trap and you are in trouble--
Go to the store and play with the parts---

I think you will need to bore a hole through the middle shelf and install the p trap under that one

Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

Agreed....remove the shelf, and add use a plastic stacked drawer setup you can get target, HD, lows etc...problem solved, and easy to utilize
jukebox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Here is another option. We use these on ADA lavs in public restrooms You won't be able to use a pop up drain but it allows you to move the tailpiece to the back of the cabinet and hopefully miss the shelf. The trap is then offset to the side so it lays flat against the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing a non-traditional vanity-kohler-k-7131-cp.jpg  
oh'mike (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think you will need to bore a hole through the middle shelf and install the p trap under that one
I agree.
Take the shelf to a granite counter top shop and let them waterjet you a nice smooth hole in the shelf, then put everything under it.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I don't think so---The pop up drain itself needs 3 1/2 to 4 inches--
add the P-trap and you are in trouble--
Go to the store and play with the parts---

IF you use a popup.

You could very easily use a grid strainer instead and gain the space you need, but you'd then have to buy a faucet without popup, or epoxy the popup rod in so it doesn't move around (decorative only)
oh'mike (07-05-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Here is another option. We use these on ADA lavs in public restrooms You won't be able to use a pop up drain but it allows you to move the tailpiece to the back of the cabinet and hopefully miss the shelf. The trap is then offset to the side so it lays flat against the wall.
EPlumber,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was just the kind of information I was hoping to receive. I just KNEW there must be a way that other people have solved this problem!!

Thanks to the other people who took the time to reply. But the shelves are structural and cannot be removed. They are attached to lovely wrought iron work at both sides.

Removing the middle shelf and adding plastic baskets from Target was never an option. If I wanted to look at plastic baskets in my Fench country bathroom, I certainly could do it a lot cheaper than buying a marble and wrought iron piece and pulling it apart.

I can now go to my plumber with a solution. He was no help when I asked him. He can only think of reasons why things cannot be done.
PMahony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMahony For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMahony View Post
...Since this piece is already at the maximum height, I do not want to use a vessel sink, which would make it even higher.
Don't discount a vessel sink. My wife is only 5'4" and our ergonomic tests showed she was comfortable with a 35" high counter with a 6" vessel sink. And even with 35" high counters I (5' 11 1/2") did not like bending over to use a regular sink.

It is easy to test. We got a cheap plastic 16" bowl from the dollar store and screwed it to a sheet of particle board the size of the counter and tested a various heights.

Last edited by goosebarry; 07-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goosebarry For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (07-06-2012)