Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Plumbing modification for toilet relocation

I am an electrical guy. I wish I understood the mechanical/plumbing codes better but admittedly I do not. Therein, I'm hoping you guys and gals can lend some advice regarding a bathroom remodel that I am working on.

The actual room size of this bathroom is expanding and we want to move the toilet/lav about 4 feet parallel to and about 3 feet perpendicular to its current location. Framing modifications will not be an issue as this is located on the first floor with ready access to the main stack and existing plumbing in the basement.

I understand the concept of fixture vents and it seems like toilets/closet bends do not typically have a dedicated vent. From what I have read a while back, I'm guessing that this may be due to the size of the main stack and perhaps the fact that (I believe that) it is classified as a "wet vent." Is this true?

Big question is, when I move the toilet, can I simply tie the new discharge line directly into the same stack that it is already connected to (via a slightly different path) without providing a separate vent connection? To be honest, I don't know how such a vent would be connected given what I've seen.

I know this is probably a seemingly stupid question and I apologize in advance if inferred as such. Like I said, charge flow is my usual game.

Also, if anyone could suggest a credible resource that I could use to help learn more about the plumbing codes, feel free to make a recommendation.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,478

Plumbing modification for toilet relocation

As an electrician- working with codes, you can appreciate how they vary by regions. For instance, the UPC requires toilets to be vented, but your area (a different code) i believe does not.
Toilets are one of the few self siphoning traps. That, I believe is why they don;t need vents.
Even under the UPC you can go 6ft from the toilet vent. Looks like you are within this distance.