Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

plumbing leak

Hi,

The 3/4 inch copper line running up from my basement floor and into the gate valve shut off is causing a problem because as the pipe enters my street side inlet on my meter there is a small leak where the nut is connected to the meter. I need to turn the water off at street side so I can take this nut off but the gate valve keeps turning and turning and nothing happens. It won't shut off the water. I went outside to the water shut off and turned the handles and there is still water flow. I don't understand.

mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

plumbing leak

Very common for a gate valve to fail, it's needs to be replaced anyway with a ball valve.
If the city side valve will not shut off I'd be calling them to come fix it.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Very common for a gate valve to fail, it's needs to be replaced anyway with a ball valve.
If the city side valve will not shut off I'd be calling them to come fix it.
the outside valve turns but still wont cut the water off. Its such a tight area I have no idea how im going to remove the gate and replace with a ball valve. If I post a picture can you see what im talking about?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,090

plumbing leak

Agree with Joe, call the city first before you do anything, it should be their responsibility.

Last edited by jmon; 04-09-2013 at 08:50 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Agree with Joe, call the city first, it should be their responsibilty.
What about the inside of the house though on the street side with the stuff off issue?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,236

plumbing leak

The city should have a curb stop- at least they do in my area. They need to turn that valve off, then you make the repairs on your valve.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The city should have a curb stop- at least they do in my area. They need to turn that valve off, then you make the repairs on your valve.
There is a ball lever outside my house at the meter though. Shouldn't that shut the water off to the house. I turned it perpendicular to the pipe and nothing happened.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

plumbing leak

I thought the meter was in your house? If it's out side and that is where the leak is- call the city. It is probably their meter and leak
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

plumbing leak

Make sure you are working on the water meter and not the Gas meter. The Gas meter is probably outside and the water meter should be inside to prevent it from freezing. Your water service from the city should be coming up through the basement floor or very low on the basement wall for the same reason - freeze protection.
I agree with all these guys, before you worry about cracking meter nuts call the city water department and have them make sure the buffalo box at the street turns off your home water FIRST or get a licensed plumber to check it out as they should have the required access also and they can usually fix a drip at the meter without cracking the meter nuts.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 584

plumbing leak

Quote:
I thought the meter was in your house? If it's out side and that is where the leak is- call the city. It is probably their meter and leak

Man you guys up north really complicate things with all your snow and stuff, ooops did i mention it was 82 today.. Sorry.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #11

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Man you guys up north really complicate things with all your snow and stuff, ooops did i mention it was 82 today.. Sorry.
LOL, my 52 and sunny was just right..... anything over 75 is too hot
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

plumbing leak

Quote:
The leak is in the basement as the copper pipe comes up from the basement floor and into the meter on the inlet and I can't fix the leak until I can shut off the water supply but the gate valve is not working its keep going around and around not shutting anything off. Outside of the house I see another shut off I am assuming that is for the water. Its a ball valve. I turned it and it didn't shut the water off. Why do you think this is?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #13

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Make sure you are working on the water meter and not the Gas meter. The Gas meter is probably outside and the water meter should be inside to prevent it from freezing. Your water service from the city should be coming up through the basement floor or very low on the basement wall for the same reason - freeze protection.
I agree with all these guys, before you worry about cracking meter nuts call the city water department and have them make sure the buffalo box at the street turns off your home water FIRST or get a licensed plumber to check it out as they should have the required access also and they can usually fix a drip at the meter without cracking the meter nuts.
I know the difference between a gas and water meter. If there is a leak on the street side of the meter in the basement am I still responsible for that. Its a ball valve. Its not working correctly so I can't even shut the water off to take a look at the small leak coming from the nut that is connected to the inlet of the meter.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 584

plumbing leak

Quote:
LOL, my 52 and sunny was just right..... anything over 75 is too hot
LOL the only thing i like at 52 and lower are my coronas.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,090

plumbing leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
I know the difference between a gas and water meter. If there is a leak on the street side of the meter in the basement am I still responsible for that. Its a ball valve. Its not working correctly so I can't even shut the water off to take a look at the small leak coming from the nut that is connected to the inlet of the meter.
Just a suggestion, it's best to call your city water department first to see who is responsible for it. Every municipality is a little different when it comes to this area. I don't know for sure who is responsible in your case. However, from what you describe it seems like the city should be, they usually own the water meter. I can only speak of my similar situation, called my village water department and they came out and took care of everything at no cost.

Last edited by jmon; 04-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote